What's new
What's new

Quick & Dirty Speedy Drawbar Shortcut

mrplasma

Aluminum
Until I can decide what kind of power drawbar to buy, I came up with this approach to attaching and removing R-8 tooling.

A Milwaukee right angle attachment and 3/8" drive cordless impact wrench provide just the right amount of torque to easily seat and unseat my tooling. If I don't overdo it when tightening, the tooling will come out without the use of a rubber hammer. If the hammer is needed - no big deal.

bar1.jpg bar3.jpg bar4.jpg

For most guys its the reaching up not the turn and tap. You have to reach even higher with that thing.

MrPlasma...exactly how tall are you, or did the B-port go through the wash and shrink?

Stuart

It's still only an Are-Ate, Stu. They don't get much punier.

Bridgeport R8 Master PDQ Quick Change Tool Holder w/ 1" face mill 702-64-002 | eBay

I have PDQ for B&S #9 and for 40-taper. And side-locks.

Also ER-40 & ER-20. And collets.

And several MORE "nose operated" for each.

Climb upstairs to use a drawbar?

Down to so damned seldom I might need a training course to remind me if the cranky son-of-a-b***h needs a wrench ... a pair of snap-ring pliers..

. or just a doggie-biscuit as temptation!

I did say "SOB"?

Treat the disease. Not just the symptom.

:)

Those who believed this approach required the mill operator to reach even higher than when using a wrench should take another look!

This set-up cost $230.00, plus you can use the driver for other purposes as well. The weight of the socket keeps it hanging in position to engage the drawbar overhead with one hand without looking. The grip of the impact driver rests against the head of the mill, and a gentle push operates the trigger. You can hold it near the bottom without having to touch the trigger.

Cheap power drawbar.jpg IMG_9107.jpg

Last edited:

Back