What's new
What's new

quill lock

winger

Stainless
I wonder why Bridgeport and the clones never used a left hand screw so the unlock position is is when the lever is down and doesn't drag.
Any one here correct this.

While I'm ranting. The oiler position also could have been better. It is right where most of the chips go.

Dave

Put the threaded cotter in the front and the thru hole cotter in the back
so gravity makes it unlock. Or buy a cock up.

-Doozer

Yeah I tried reversing it but the other guys I worked with didn't like it.

Dave

Yeah, In cooperate America everyone needs to feel special.
It's the most important thing ! Show me where the bad man touched
your machine ! ! !

---Doozer

Attached photo is from ksimolo from post #5 above. But always wondered the various ways the integrated indicator stop (rod) could be used. I have used it to attach an indicator and tram a part to X & Y travel that is toe-clamped direct to the table. And not having to disturb the tool in the quill by using a collet to hold an indicator on a shift.

What other ways could it be used?

bridgeport_indicator_rod.JPG

Attached photo is from ksimolo from post #5 above. But always wondered the various ways the integrated indicator stop (rod) could be used. I have used it to attach an indicator and tram a part to X & Y travel that is toe-clamped direct to the table. And not having to disturb the tool in the quill by using a collet to hold an indicator on a shift.

What other ways could it be used?

View attachment 333587

I used it to hold the rod my spray mist nozzle was attached to.

I've seen this done with a rubber band, and made one with a left hand thread because I didn't want it in the back. It was more of a student project with a new machine user than an object of any importance.

For those with magnets who machine steel or other magnetic materials and went the magnet route to hold the lever up, do you have any issues with it getting covered in fine chips?

I've seen this done with a rubber band, and made one with a left hand thread because I didn't want it in the back. It was more of a student project with a new machine user than an object of any importance.

For those with magnets who machine steel or other magnetic materials and went the magnet route to hold the lever up, do you have any issues with it getting covered in fine chips?

Don't think I've ever had metal on my magnet.

That magnet has been on for years and never cleaned. So that is the extent of the chips that stick to mine.

Good to know it isn't an issue. Last shop we found chips everywhere, even on the ceiling lights. I figure it had a lot more to do with the lathe than the mill, but wasn't sure.

Back