What's new
What's new

Quill Oil Cup - Missing???

KT88

Plastic
Guys, I've been working on a "new to me" 1956 Bridgeport, and have noticed on the head (which is a 2J2, so I'm thinking it's a later vintage?) that the Quill Oil Cup is missing from the right side, and I'm wondering if that is "Normal?" There is a plug in the head where I think the Quill Oil Cup should go (in the red circle), and it's been painted over, so I'm a bit confused.

I've attached a few photo's to show which Quill Oil Cup is in question (the one on the front is there, the "Downfeed Oil Cup" I believe it's called).

Do I need to reinstall an oil cup, or is this ok?

Thanks for the help.

Don

IMG_6771.jpg

IMG_6772.jpg

Maybe you have greased (and possibly shielded upper) bearings??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If it was me, I would drop the quill and check. But, like someone else said, you may have sealed spindle bearings. Seems to me I've also read where some Bridgeport mills were set up for woodworking and they used sealed bearings so spindle oil wouldn't run down onto the wood work piece.

Ted

Thanks guys; I think I'll drop it and have a look. Sealed bearings make a lot of sense to me; I bought this from a machine shop where the owner had passed away, and he had a lot of well cared for machines, so the sealed bearing scenario is probable. Best to have a look and be certain.

Thanks for the help!

Don

Hi Karl, yes, I'm a fan of tube amps; I'm a bass player and do like the high powered triodes!

Back