What's new
What's new

Quill skirt Replacement

zmerahn

Plastic
Is there a way to repair/replace the quill skirt without a full head tear down?

My quill moves smoothly from the bottom to about the half way mark, then wont retract any further. Anything else this could be besides the quill skirt?

Series 1 J head.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just rebuilt my head so I have some recent experience but I am nowhere near an expert like some on here. That being said, I think you would be able to remove the motor and then remove the entire front/back gear assembly as a whole unit by removing the 3 nuts at the top of the quill housing. That would get you access to the top of the quill without major low-level disassembly. You'd have to be super careful lifting up the gear assembly to not mess up the spindle.

If someone else knows better, please feel free to correct me so I can learn too...

I just rebuilt my head so I have some recent experience but I am nowhere near an expert like some on here. That being said, I think you would be able to remove the motor and then remove the entire front/back gear assembly as a whole unit by removing the 3 nuts at the top of the quill housing. That would get you access to the top of the quill without major low-level disassembly. You'd have to be super careful lifting up the gear assembly to not mess up the spindle.

If someone else knows better, please feel free to correct me so I can learn too...

Could you snap a pic of the 3 screws bolts you are talking about? I could then pick it with my forklift I assume?

Could you snap a pic of the 3 screws bolts you are talking about? I could then pick it with my forklift I assume?

The three screws are pointing down and are at 120 degrees with each other. Their location is about 1/2 inch below the oil cup on the right side of the head.

The three screws are pointing down and are at 120 degrees with each other. Their location is about 1/2 inch below the oil cup on the right side of the head.

Thanks. Any other items you can think of that may be causing this?

It stops movement when trying to retract past the point in this picture (the down travel is smooth).

The movement seems to stop exactly when the area circled in yellow disappears inside the housing.BP2.jpg

Attachments

• BP1.jpg
    BP1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 163
The quill skirt should normally run along the outside of the quill. By the one picture it looks like it came free of the quill and is floating inside. That would explain your described behavior. Maybe run the quill down near the bottom of the travel and look into the slot to see where the quill skirt is?

The quill skirt should normally run along the outside of the quill. By the one picture it looks like it came free of the quill and is floating inside. That would explain your described behavior. Maybe run the quill down near the bottom of the travel and look into the slot to see where the quill skirt is?

Cool. Will check that when back in the shop on Monday. Thanks again!

The 2 attached photos are with the quill all the way out. I don't see slot you are describing. Am I missing something?

BP3.jpgBP4.jpg

Sorry, I meant the slot where the quill stop knob rides in. I wasn't clear, but you got pictures that were pretty close.

I do not feel qualified as an expert in any of this, so if anyone on this forum has any input or corrections to what I'm saying please feel free to chime in. I don't want to disseminate incorrect information.

It looks to me like the quill skirt came loose and instead of riding in the slot for the skirt around the quill, is sitting on top of the quill. This blocks upward travel when it blocks the space between the drive cradle and the quill. When I look at your pictures, this is what I see:
BP2.jpg
BP4.jpg

The quill skirt should ride outside of the quill, like so:
99e7f5de-63fc-43de-8dca-d82b48baa925.jpg

Those pics are super helpful, thanks! Will crack her open and see what I can find.

Thanks again.

Sorry, I meant the slot where the quill stop knob rides in. I wasn't clear, but you got pictures that were pretty close.

I do not feel qualified as an expert in any of this, so if anyone on this forum has any input or corrections to what I'm saying please feel free to chime in. I don't want to disseminate incorrect information.

It looks to me like the quill skirt came loose and instead of riding in the slot for the skirt around the quill, is sitting on top of the quill. This blocks upward travel when it blocks the space between the drive cradle and the quill. When I look at your pictures, this is what I see:
View attachment 236218
View attachment 236216

The quill skirt should ride outside of the quill, like so:
View attachment 236217

Back