What's new
What's new

R8 slotting cutter diameter limitations

BHolcombe

Aluminum
As a gut instinct measure from those experienced with R8 Tapers, what would be a practical limitation for the cutter diameter for slotting light materials like plastic.

In this case, I'm thinking to use a cutter on the thinner side and take multiple cuts (rather than one big heavy) and I'd like to slot 1.75" deep.

Slotting cutter could be mounted on a 1.25" arbor, but I know the ultimate limitation is the R8 taper.

Speed likely will be on the high side, with a feed rate on the low side (manual feed, not using the drives) to get immediate feedback during the cut.

This is being done in a late model Bridgeport.

In plastic, heat is your enemy. I have used 6" diameter slitting saws with R8, 3/16? wide. A spray mist helps. Better to have a key way with all the slop taken out of it and a direct (not climb) cut.

I've cut a 3/4 wide x 1 3/4 deep slot in UHMW. Don't really remember the speed, but I'm thinking 5-600 rpm and power feed. Home made fly cutter with mist coolant. Coolant is an absolute must as it will build up heat quickly and your slot will close up. Part was 2 x 3 x17 long. we made hundreds of them with no problems.

Back