What's new
What's new

Rare hardinge HLV-H lever operated tailstock

mellejonker

Aluminum
I saw this one for sale, never seen one before. Is it common?

http://www.siemachines.nl/products/turning/?66168286ED8F4633AE084F50B84F5BEC
3fd3b49ce83fecff91791aae50036711.jpg

I have not been around as long as Larry Vanice, but that is the only one I have seen, getting close to what Milicron has been looking for.

i have a quickdrill tailstock one one of my hardinge lathes, looks different though. more like the standard tailstock.
this seems to be designed to overhang the support, and has a height correction.
the adjustable depth stop is nice for repeated drilling..
bought it jet Jelle? if not i would like to buy it.
regards, koen

The basic tailstock is a Schaublin 102 model but someone has modified the casting so it's height can be adjusted, plus the adapter casting to fit the HLV-H bed. A lever tailstock doesn't really interest me much anyway as I'd much prefer a rack and pinion starwheel type.

What you see as a key looks more like a witness mark plate to me.

Photo zoom-up wasn't much help. Showed more ugly than detail. But yes, seems so.

Coupled with the longitudinal "bolt", the hint is that the adjustment is up and down ramp, lathe's long-axis, not in/out for taper-cutting set-over.

Photo zoom-up wasn't much help. Showed more ugly than detail. But yes, seems so.

Coupled with the longitudinal "bolt", the hint is that the adjustment is up and down ramp, lathe's long-axis, not in/out for taper-cutting set-over.
Even though the basic spindle and lever aspect were already done by Schaublin, the rest of the deal looks like a major PITA to have created just to have a lever tailstock. Unless they absolutely had to do a certain high volume job on an HLV-H, would have been more cost effective to just buy a used DSM-59 (or Schaublin 102 with lever tailstock or turret) and use the turret for the slide action aspect as a second operation.

Even though the basic spindle and lever aspect were already done by Schaublin, the rest of the deal looks like a major PITA to have created just to have a lever tailstock. Unless they absolutely had to do a certain high volume job on an HLV-H, would have been more cost effective to just buy a used DSM-59 (or Schaublin 102 with lever tailstock or turret) and use the turret for the slide action aspect as a second operation.

Agree that. There must be at least four different Hardinge TS & turret systems that wudda been "drop on" or near-as dammit even if not just side-stepping to a different model lathe.

Somewhat weird lathes by MY pref, but about as well-tooled and optioned a lineup as have ever existed, Hardinge were in their golden years.

Separate issue, really, but the "concept" of a long-axis ramp built-in to an adapter I can see general merit in for adapting "foreign" top sides to lathes they were not meant for.

Opens the possibility of fitting a specialty rig to more than one host lathe "sort of" quick-change'ish vs scraping-in one-and-only adapter plates, etc.

Well ... here's a genuine HLV-H lever tailstock fitted to one of my earlier machines (Made by Hardinge Feltham UK)

Hardinge HLV-H Lever Tailstock

I'm sure somewhere I've got the original parts drawings for one too ...

John :cheers:
Ah, if you're going to do one that's the way to do it...very nice. Still rather have the Schaublin starwheel type with rack and pinion which holds collets rather than Morse taper...but for an HLV-H the lever style like yours might be more practical.

But if I remember correctly, not made by Hardinge, but rather one of their British agents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments folk ...

Just found one of the original drawings: Hardinge Lever Tailstock plan
Do you have a conventional screw tailstock as well ? One of the beauties of a Schaublin 2 speed star wheel tailstock is, in low gear, when locked it can serve as the between centers tailstock, so it's all you need really. But on a Schaublin 102N a single speed star wheel is ok because it is so light weight it's almost no effort to switch between that one and the original screw tailstock.

I would think a Hardinge HLV-H tailstock almost a gray area in that respect as one type can be switched for the other, but it is a bit heavy for that...can be done, but more of a PITA. The Holy Grail would be a two speed HLV-H star wheel tailstock but no such animal on the planet I suspect.

i have a quickdrill tailstock one one of my hardinge lathes, looks different though. more like the standard tailstock.
this seems to be designed to overhang the support, and has a height correction.
the adjustable depth stop is nice for repeated drilling..
bought it jet Jelle? if not i would like to buy it.
regards, koen
Hi Koen,
Did not buy it since he obvious wants to sell it as a set with the lathe which makes sense. It looks indeed as a modified schaublin, that explains all the extra collets (W20) on the pics also.
Regards,
Melle

Back