What's new
What's new

Recently bought a HLV-H from the 60s, have some questions.

xXOutSid3rXx

Plastic
Bought a recently rebuilt HLV-H from the early 60s for what could only be considered a steal I had tested the spindle motor and feed motors before purchase (not like it would have mattered for what I paid) and they work great.

Firstly I reached out to Hardinge themselves and could not receive a manual for anything prior to Serial 13500 or later. Mines #1720 so does anyone have scans of the original manual around?

Secondly anyone have a good source for finding the attachments? (Steady rest, tracer etc) would love to in time afford a complete makeover with a DRO and all the attachments.

Thirdly its now in my garage, in a single phase house. The lathe is currently wired with a plug for 3-phase 208. Would https://www.vevor.com/products/1-5kw-220v-2hp-7a-vfd-variable-frequency-drive-inverter-closed-loop-low-output I would like to score a mill at some point and would love to wire this north of an outlet and plug in various equipment as desired.

The early HLV-Hs were different, but on the newer ones variable speed drive would cause problems with the controls and other 3 phase motors. If the older HLV-H has only spindle motor and the coolant pump as a three phase, I still would not do it. Get a moderately sized 3 phase generator and it will power the Hardinge just fine as well as any other machine you get down the road.
Before we moved to this location that has true 3 phase we ran up to 8 machines at a time on a single 3 or 5 horse phase rotary convertor.

If you want to possibly save some money and have the time & skill, there are a couple of people over on the [email protected] that sell castings for various accessories. Jim Switters had or has a casting for the follower rest. Also [email protected] has/had a set of four castings for a taper attachment @ $208 and should soon have a taper attachment casting for $147.

Last edited:
Firstly I reached out to Hardinge themselves and could not receive a manual for anything prior to Serial 13500 or later. Mines #1720 so does anyone have scans of the original manual around?

I have looked at various manuals over the years. The operation is not different except for the pictures being different.
It won't matter if you get the exact year. But try anyway.

The lathe is currently wired with a plug for 3-phase 208. Would 1.5kw 220v 2hp 7a Vfd Variable Frequency Drive Inverter Closed-loop Lo

– Vevor US
I would like to score a mill at some point and would love to wire this north of an outlet and plug in various equipment as desired.

Look at the drive motor tag and identify if it is 208.

The VFD idea means that the electrical control wiring has to be modified/removed. A RPC is the only other choice. Phase Perfect if you like perfect.

Just out of curiosity, has there been a documented case of a VFD being blow up running the speed change motor on an HLVH, or a DV-59? The speed change
won't work unless the main motor is running so there's probably a way to lock it out even if the hi/off/low stick is bypassed and the motor run right off the drive.

Back