What's new
What's new

Removing an Erickson Quick Change 30 Master Tool holder from a Bridgeport 2J head?

Makin' N Bakin'

Plastic
Anyone know how to remove an Erickson Quick Change 30 Master Tool holder from a Bridgeport 2J head? I've made several attempts on the internet to find detailed instructions, video, etc... No luck. Just called Kennametal and they told me they stopped making these systems and did not have anything saved explaning how to remove. The struggle is that the top of the drawbar is approx. 4" down inside the head with now way to attach a socket etc. I've removed the lock nut from the tool holder but don't see anyway of removing it from the drawbar. Any help would be appreciated.

I have installed 30QC spindles many years ago. If the adapter is part of the spindle you have to remove the whole spindle assembly. Look for instructions on removing the spindle instead.
If the unit is an R8 to 30 QC adapter, it should come out just like an R8 collet.

What I think you have is a Varispeed head with a drawbar for a step Belt head.
The shop owner probably had some real monkeys that would take the crank for the knee and hit the drawbar to get the collet to open.
This results in teeth knocked off and in extreme cases mis shaping the head so it no longer fits on where it belongs.
So he put on the NMTB 30 adaptor, but the mill monkeys would keep taking it off.
To keep it on, he took the top off the varispeed (like you need to do when changing the belt) and put it together with drawbar that is used on the step belt head.
This forced the monkeys to stop hitting the drawbar with the knee crank!

Just my 2 cents.

Bill

A picture of the spindle mouth will allow us to determine if it has an R9 or NMTB 30 spindle.

Back