What's new
What's new

Removing Table From Bridgeport Clone

ljgoldberg

Aluminum
Lack of lubrication and congealed cutting fluid has gummed up the X axis, Loosening the gib has almost no effect until the table is entirely free of the ways and swings in the Y direction.

The machine is a "Hartford" import made by She Hong with 9 x 42 table and power drive on the right end.

What is the procedure for removing the table to allow access to the ways for solvent and water-based cleaning?

The machine has seen little use and stands idle most of the time but a quantity of undiluted synthetic coolant has made its way into the ways, power drive speed control knob, and other areas.

Is kerosene an acceptable solvent to pump through the one-shot lube system to check and clear the oil lines?

What is a good choice of oil for the one-shot lube system?

Thanks for any help offered.

Larry

The table on a real BP is something like 345 lbs. You either need an engine hoist or 3 strong people to hold it up.

Disconnect the handle and bracket (or power feed) and screw the table over about half way. Then disconnect the other handle and bracket and remove the lead screw completely. Then slide the table off. Alternatively, you can just screw the table over until the lead screw is free and slide the table with leadscrew off. The downside to this is the risk of the leadscrew ripping a couple of the plastic lines inside the saddle for the one shot lube system. Don't ask how I know this.

Way lube goes in the one shot lube once you have everything cleaned out for a BP. Use what your owner's manual says.

Steve.

Steve is not kidding about the weight. I recommend you use or build a substantial table and adjust the knee so the mill table just sits at the table height. After removing the end mounts and leadscrew as Steve mentioned, remove the X gib and slide the mill table over onto the work table by pulling it with your fingers in the coolent trough, keeping the mill table level. However you may be able to get enough of the solvent into the ways to clean them, after removing the gib. I would remove the table and saddle and [and leadscrew nuts] and really clean all of it. Good time for an inspection. Bijar recommends replacing the metering units if they are clogged. Joe

I like to remove the end brackets, feed screw, and gib then lower the knee so the table is just touching a roller cart like whats used for stock picking, then just push the table off and away on the cart. Install just the opposite. If you're going to clean out the lube system, kero should be ok. Like already said, replace the meter fittings. Mobil vactra 2 for the lube pump.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Are all of the metering ports the same; ways, saddle nut, etc?

This looks like a good project for a slow Friday, starting on Thursday. :(

Larry

No. Here is the first page of chapter 8, out of Bijur_Single-Line-Oil_sys.pdf, a file that used to be on the old Bijur website. Can't find it now on the new website and I would post it were it not for the fact it is a 1.4 Meg pdf (too large).:( It has the Bridgeport oil line schematic and the meters used at the various areas. PM me and I will email it to you. Joe

On edit: Found it! :willy_nilly:
http://www.bijurdelimon.com/productdocs/258_B_SYS_Single-Line-Resistance_BR(1).pdf

Attachments

• BP_BijurOneShot.jpg
    BP_BijurOneShot.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 471
The table on a real BP is something like 345 lbs. You either need an engine hoist or 3 strong people to hold it up.

Steve.

Then I must be Hercules.
I have, more than once, picked up and carried my 1969
BP 9x42 table by myself.
The 345# is mis-information that has been floating around
the web for a while. I weighed my table when it was off
at about 206#.
Of course, a knock off brand table may have more cast
iron in it than a real BP so be careful.
My CNC tables, which are clearly much heavier, I have
slide onto a steel cart of the right height.

Scott

Larry

Replace each one with the same number, (0,00, 1, etc)
I have found McMaster Carr to have good prices on them.
About $10.50 each. And you get them the next day.

You are close to me (I am in Montvale) and can loan you
my scissor cart to help remove the table.

Scott

Scott's comment got me curious so, since my BP is currently in pieces, I did some weighing.

Bare 9" x 42" table - 215 lbs
Lead screw, bracket, handle - 22 lbs
Old round power feed (1959 vintage) - 47 lbs
Servo PF with cables, etc. - 15 lbs

J head (step-pulley, 1 1/2 hp motor) - 200 lbs (roughly, it's in a crate so I guesstimated the crate weight.)

Steve.

Sorry for the mis-information. I was actually referring to the fact that the table was heavy and not to the fact that it weighted the quoted weight of the table. Someone posted these weights in an earlier post here on PM but the weight of the 48" table is listed at 365 lbs, or 20 lbs heavier. Could be that a 48" table with leadscrew, Bridgeport drive, cranks, dials, bearings, bearing end brackets all together added up to the suggested 345 lbs and that a 42" table will be obviously lighter. Steve did say, "something like 345lbs", and did not actually say it weighted 345lbs. Anyway, it is heavy and to error on the heavy side when planning a lift is not a bad thing! Joe

Head 200 lbs (J head, not 2J)
Ram Adapter, 90 lbs
Ram, 218 lbs
Turret, 214 lbs
Column, 715 lbs
Knee, 257 lbs
Saddle, 142 lbs
48 Table, 365 lbs

McMaster Carr didn't seem to have (or I couldn't locate) metric-thread resistance oilers. For a large variety of OEM components including Japanese mechanical and electrical specialties I found JTEK Machinery to be very helpful. On the web at JTEK.com and in Stafford, TX at 281-565-8600.

They have a $30 minimum order but Mimi offered to put together a kit of fittings, tubing, and other commonly used items to round out the order. The lubricator was $7.65, about $11 from McMaster Carr.

Thanks again to all that responded, and a Happy Thanksgiving to all celebrants.

Larry

JTEK name has changed.

McMaster Carr didn't seem to have (or I couldn't locate) metric-thread resistance oilers. For a large variety of OEM components including Japanese mechanical and electrical specialties I found JTEK Machinery to be very helpful. On the web at JTEK.com and in Stafford, TX at 281-565-8600.

They have a $30 minimum order but Mimi offered to put together a kit of fittings, tubing, and other commonly used items to round out the order. The lubricator was $7.65, about $11 from McMaster Carr.

Thanks again to all that responded, and a Happy Thanksgiving to all celebrants.

Larry

JTEK has changed their name to INDUSTEQ, Inc.. For more information go to the following link.
JTEK Machinery, Inc. is Now Industeq Inc.

I know this post is over 12 years old but I received a PM request from a member to update the link to the BiJur oil system PDF. Here it is again.

" http://www.bijurdelimon.com/fileadm...ochures/258_SYS_Single-Line-Resistance_BR.pdf ".

I have enclosed the link within quotes in the hopes the forum software will not abbreviate the link, which I think is what is happening. You may note the three dots after the word "productd...", in my post of April 2007. I don't know but there may be a special way to enter a link. If there is, I do not know how. Thanks. Joe

On edit: The link is still abbreviated! (Missing "ucts/docs/bdius/Brochures/256_SYS_Single-Line_Resit". I will try and find out how to entere a link correctly. Joe

.bijurdelimon.com/fileadmin/products/docs/bdius/Brochures/258_SYS_Single-Line-Resistance_BR.pdf This line s correct after the "HTTP://www"

Back