What's new
What's new

Sanity check after variable speed head rebuild- relative sound volume of hi/lo?

carbonbl

Cast Iron
I have a '74 Series I 2J2 w/ variable speed head. It came to me in nice but relatively unused/unmaintained condition. I just completed a rebuild of the top half of the variable speed head, using a rebuild kit supplied by H&W and precisely following their excellent Youtube videos. I had no issues during the rebuild process, everything went together smoothly. All original parts seemed in good shape (even the bearings and bushings that were replaced).

My question is this: high range is significantly louder than low, is this normal? Low sounds good and healthy to me, comparable to my drill press or band saw. You can have a conversation with it running. High is much, much louder, more of a wail (although still medium pitched, not an ear piercing high pitched wail). Normal conversation is difficult above 1600 rpm and ear protection would be nice above 2000 rpm. I'm a bit worried I've somehow messed up the bull gear or something else in the drive train. But then again, not having experience with these I am not sure what is normal. My point of reference is something like my Fadal's 10k spindle which is mechanically much simpler, with less rotating drivetrain components. I know this sound description isn't so helpful without video- however I'm sure someone can advise what the relative sound levels should be for the two ranges before I tear back into the head.

This is my first time owning or working on a Bridgeport (only worked on CNC mills and manual/CNC lathes before), so I know this is a novice question. Any help is appreciated.

Back