What's new
What's new

Series 1 Bridgeport DRO recomendation

rcn11thacr

Aluminum
Hi,

I have a series 1 Bridgeport that i use at the home shop. I've never had a DRO and will have to learn. I do job shop type stuff from the house, a little bit of everything. What is a good recommendation for a DRO? I don't want one that that will be a PITA all the time and cause problems and i spend more time working on it than using it, and i don't need one capable of building a space ship. I do want one that has the ability to space out/stager hole circles. Thoughts appreciated.

dropros.com

Edit: be wary of the the cheap Chinese DRO's. I have one on my Bridgeport and it actually works quite well. But I can't read the manual... the words are English but the sentence structure is not. :D
Bill

I think cost is the biggest unanswered question.

Personally, if i were putting a DRO on my mill in the garage (I dont use it for income really, and when I do it is with woodworking) it would be an Acu-Rite. I havent found a DRO box that is more user friendly than theirs. It has bolt hole patterns, arrays, frames, tool library (I would see that more of use on a lathe), datums, and much more. You are lookin at about $1,600ish for a 2 axis DRO203.

Jon

HWE, Is the same type that your talking about? The listing title says so but the price is half of your quote above. I don’t know what to make of it as this is a 3 axis unit. Let me know your thoughts. eBay # 253512553178 MPN #1197250-01 1197250-01 Acu-Rite 3 Axes Milling/Turning/Grinding DRO203 Individual Readout

Not sure how to properly post an eBay link

HWE, Is the same type that your talking about? The listing title says so but the price is half of your quote above. I don’t know what to make of it as this is a 3 axis unit. Let me know your thoughts. eBay # 253512553178 MPN #1197250-01 1197250-01 Acu-Rite 3 Axes Milling/Turning/Grinding DRO203 Individual Readout

Not sure how to properly post an eBay link

I don't see any scales included in the eBay listing but I may have overlooked it. That could explain the difference of price. I have the 3-axis one from Acu-Rite and paid about $1800.00 for a Series II Special BP.

That is just the DRO box. The DRO203 lists for $895. List price for a DRO203 with scales and mounting hardware for (as an example) a 9x42 Bridgeport is $1,900. Depending on what discounts or sales a company might be offering, you can find it for lower.

Jon

DRO Rec

Upgrading the dro on my Bridgeport to a Newall 500, after using it for a year I regret not buying the Acu-Rite 200s like my HLV-H is equip with. Probably the biggest difference is Acu—Rite has a decided box that displays the feed rates.

Last edited:
I have been using the Newall for many years now with perfect reliability & no contamination issues. If I had a power feed then a feed rate indicator would be more useful, I only hand feed on that small mill.

I have purchased Mitutoyo DRO packages for my BPorts previously, and found them to be very useful and reliable. The KA display unit paired with AT-715 magnetic scales as a package can be purchased for right around $1000 (I see $995 at Can-Do Machinery, I have bought from them previously). In the previous economic meltdown (2007-08) I purchased one setup for something like $695.00, but it looks like the $1K number is where it is now.

I have purchased Mitutoyo DRO packages for my BPorts previously, and found them to be very useful and reliable. The KA display unit paired with AT-715 magnetic scales as a package can be purchased for right around $1000 (I see $995 at Can-Do Machinery, I have bought from them previously). In the previous economic meltdown (2007-08) I purchased one setup for something like $695.00, but it looks like the $1K number is where it is now.

I bought a Mitutoyo KA 2 axis set on eBay about 8 years ago for $895. I installed it on my big Webb mill and it's been flawless ever since.

Can Do is an excellent source as well.

Regarding cheaper DRO's, I bought a SINO two axis for my no name 13 X 40 lathe and it works fine (after I grounded the case to the lathe with a wire like the manual said, LOL.)

I don't think you can do better than Newall. The ease of installation is amazing! We've had our oldest one going on 10 yrs. not one problem.

Hi,
I just put a cheap ($400) DRO (Sinpo) on my 1965 Series I Bridgeport.

Did not want to put a $2000 DRO on a $2000 Mill?

Has been working great and does all I need!

Attachments

• ll1.jpg
    ll1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 181
  • ll2.jpg
    ll2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 153
  • ll3.jpg
    ll3.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 141
So rcn11thacr, did you make a decision?

I am in the same position as I too need to decide on a DRO to replace the Acu-Rite MillMate (working when I bought it and for a while during rebuild, then died) that came with my Series I J-Head Bridgeport that I am in the middle of rebuilding. I am comfortable troubleshooting electronics and I tried fixing this otherwise good condition unit without luck. I scoured the web for any help, schematics, etc. I phoned any and every viable repair center and/or dealer to see what it would cost to repair or if there was any advice to give other than replace which they all told me to do.

I have been watching the H&W Machine Repair youtube videos and have ordered BP rebuild parts from them over the past few weeks and have been very happy with the service on the phone, knowledge and shipping speed given that I am in Canada. I called Jon (who has been giving some advice on this thread among many others) and was blown away by his care to help. I sent him pictures of the boards showing the failed component and he was familiar with this problem and explained the likely source of the issue. That said, the fix would not be certain or cheap and is risky at best. After a lot of time on the phone
:bowdown: it seems the best approach is to replace it. Jon offered a great deal on an Acu-Rite DRO203 with 2 scales. I have yet to pull the trigger because now it will be more than what I paid for the mill. This all went down over the weekend and today. I can't say enough about the help Jon provided me in this situation not to mention his extensive knowledge and common-sense approach to the situation.

I am inclined to go with a new quality unit and scales from H&W as I don't want hassles down the road; I'd rather cry once. I too have looked at the units from China but they seem like hit and miss and I don't know what the long term durability is. Again, I'm not sure what direction to go and money is tight.

I have been very inclined to go with an Accu Pro or the Newall but have not pulled the trigger yet mainly because the cost is more than what I paid for the mill. I am hoping to find a deal during Black Friday

Years ago I bought enc150 scales for x and y on a 1963 cinci tracer that had been converted to cnc by a Russian engineer; on the cheap. Saved one of the servo motors and pretty much discarded the rest of the mod. The scales don't do too well as the counts/inch are too low to provide for good velocity control. Just took it back to manual using the glass scales and it is good. Just for grins compared the acurite with the X manual. On the nose to 5 um ... resolution of the scale for full x travel. Impressive. I will go back to cnc but will use the scales of position and encoders on the ballscrews for velocity. 'another project :-)

While comparing the glass scale with the manual I jury-rigged a chinese (stainless ?) scale. Part of it was pretty good and part not so good. I need to revisit that with a good mounting for the chinese scale and attempt to get a good calibration. I can do calibration (digital adjustment) but would prefer it be right in the first place. :-)
HTH

Back