What's new
What's new

Series 2 Serial numbers and an Update

wanderer

Aluminum
HiYa Guys,
Just thought I would share with you my jubilation...ok kinda bragging that I have found it. I found my table travel motor it is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3838370781

Mr Bridgeport have you been able to see if you have the cluster gear for the table yet?

Is there a wiring schematic on the web anywhere? Also serial numbers for the Series 2...see all sorts of ones for the regular Js..just none for the 4J's.
Thanks Guys
wanderer

[ 09-19-2004, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: wanderer ]

HiYa Folks,
Lets try this, anybody work at a shop that has one of these? Maybe I can start a data base on known manufacturing dates and serial numbers. As they seem not to be anywhere assesable on the web, and I know I am not alone..alone...alonnee(echo)LOL!
Also nobody has a schematic...how about for a Series 2 Special...they should share some electrical components.
Thanks
wanderer

I own a small shop, and I just purchased an older series 2 special. I need some info on it too. The Metering units are clogged with what looks like felt. There happens to be a filter made out of some kind of felt on the one shot lube pump. Do I have to take the table off to get at the distribution block for the x axis? Are the filters avaliable for the lube pump, or should I just get a new pump?

I got one of the these. Bridgeport Series II, non-cnc with a 4J head. Bought it at an auction and found that the none of the power feeds didn't work. There was table and knee motor contoller board made by KB Electronics that was in the box and it took me 1/2 hr to replace the Bridgeport board. Now the table and knee motors works like a charm.

The machine also has a power quill feed that is controlled by a separate motor. I can't seem to get this to work. Does anybody has experience with fixing one of these?? According to the manual, it is a electric motor that runs a harmonic drive, something like a automatic transmission on a car. The maual even tells you to use ATF fluid to fill the resevoir. I sure would like to get this to work. Any feedback is appreciated.

I have the original Bridgeport Series 2 owners manual and the blueprint electrical schematics for the machine. I even have the electrical blueprint schematics of the KB electronics control board. If anybody wants a copy, I'd be happy to share what I got.

Max

About serial #'s on a series 2 and the date of manufacture. The series 2 is a strange puppy. My machine is stamped # 384 under the way covers and I can't find the serial # on the 4J head.

In the electrical box, the serial # is 185/166. The manual says the machine was installed on 12/71 and the previous owner wrote serial # J28676 on the manual, which I guess is the serial # of the 4J head.

What is confusing me is the original green Bridgeport acceptance tag that is dated 6/16/82.

My machine sure looks in better condition than something that was made in 1971. The original paint still had it's luster and not so many dings and scratches that I have seen in most Bridgeport mills much newer than this one.

My machine is a Manual Bridgeport Series 2 with a 4hp 4J head, 11" x 58" power X and Y table feeds, power knee, and power quill feed. I wonder how much one of these things are worth ?

Max

I have serial T325 Series II numerical control (tape) machine I am retrofitting. Has the 4J head which I have apart if anyone needs info on that. This one came with such crappy ideas as the "spindle wizard" which is an air cylinder driven quill feed. Trico lube metering units can be used to replace the Bijur stuff. The chrome ways on this beat up looking NC machine are, well, just perfect. Ball screws seem just as nice. I think mine is early to mid seventies but I have found no one that can date it. Some of the electronics I trashed are marked 11/71. Table ways on saddle are longer than table - I'm impressed.

Harris Machine Tool (Houston) has one of the non-NC Series II machines with 4J - looks like it is a parts machine. It is in the "liquidation" warehouse they are trying to clean out. It is missing crossfeed or "Y" motor for sure.

I need an Erickson 40 spindle cap if someone has one. I am going to try the following Gates belts in the 4J head, even though they are not exact BP replacements. Vari Speed belt 3226 V 505. Timing belt 310H200. These 4J heads are full of very nice Fafnir bearings.

John

If you still have the electrical schematic for this piece of equipment I would like to have a copy please

John

Back