What's new
What's new

Series I Bridgeport will not change speeds

70chall440

Aluminum
Hello all. I recently acquired a Series I Bridgeport which has a broken belt. I have read the manual, read through various forum postings and watched the videos. In all they say to run the motor down to its lowest speed, however I have noticed that turning the hand wheel has no effect on the speed of the motor (up or down). Additionally, all of the instruction is to use 2 of the lower cover bolts to compress the spring, however since the speed won't change the spring remains extended which will not allow me to get the bolts in.

Before I take it apart, is there anything I should be aware of? The HW video is pretty comprehensive concerning the top end tear down although I haven't looked at reassembly too hard yet.

Thanks in advance

You can use a couple longer bolts or some all thread to compress the spring. But, since the belt is broken, you shouldn't have an issue just pulling the motor straight out. The belt is only an issue when it's intact and makes it hard to pull the motor out.

Ted

You can not change speeds with the broken belt ! Use longer bolts or better yet pieces of all thread with nuts to compress the spring.

Thank you for the quick responses, I will do as suggested, I think I saw the threads were 10-32.

Since this is a new to you machine, you should look over the condition of the keys in the Varispeed.
The first clue is if the holes for the bolts to compress the spring don't line up with the threads in the other half of the pulley.

They lined up ok, I used all tread and some nuts. Got the top half basically apart, now working on the timing belt. Its dirty in there but seems to be in decent condition.

Thanks to all who responded, I got the timing and drive belts replaced and the machine is up and running well. I deeply appreciate not only the comments but how quickly they came in; very timely and useful.

Back