What's new
What's new

Series I ProtoTrak MX2 rotary encoder question

supahonkey

Aluminum
Ladies and Gentleman,

I have a Bridgeport Series I with an older ProtoTrak MX2 system. Do the servos have rotary encoders on the back of them? My employer has a ton of BP ProtoTraks from various years. I've noticed that some have glass scales for position. Some have old rotary encoders with a wheel that slides along a ground bar that is bolted to the table. Some don't have either, so I assume they have rotary encoders on the servos? Did ProtoTrak include rotary encoders on every servo, and have glass scales or other rotary encoders to make them more accurate?

Brenton

prototrak

not sure about servos but an older prototrak with trav-a-dial encoder instead of glass scales are in my opinion not as reliable.
the extremely fine toothed gear that runs spring loaded against side of table or side of a ground flat bar can malfunction when it's wiper seals are worn. when a chip jams the encoder gear wheel from turning the closed loop feed back says table did not move when it was suppose to and it gives the feed full power til it registers movement. after you get the table wildly moving at high speed even only an inch and end mill either plows into part or breaks you quickly call the factory service rep for repairs.
i had the X axis trav a dial encoder replaced with a Newall ball bearings in a tube encoder. a year later it is still functioning very very well and in my opinion is vastly better and more reliable DRO encoder.

Hi Brenton,

All servos will have an encoder of some sort. The types you described and many have a rotary encoder in the end of the motor. If they have an orange cap on the end of the motor there is usually an encoder under there or on the end of the leadscrew, or glass scales. There will be some sort of position feedback.

If it has step motors (like many bridgeport Boss controls) there is no position feedback.

Bill

Ladies and Gentleman,

I have a Bridgeport Series I with an older ProtoTrak MX2 system. Do the servos have rotary encoders on the back of them? My employer has a ton of BP ProtoTraks from various years. I've noticed that some have glass scales for position. Some have old rotary encoders with a wheel that slides along a ground bar that is bolted to the table. Some don't have either, so I assume they have rotary encoders on the servos? Did ProtoTrak include rotary encoders on every servo, and have glass scales or other rotary encoders to make them more accurate?

Brenton

MX2 has wheel encoders and motor encoders.
M2 only has motor encoders.

EDIT. Sorry for bringing up a 7 year old post. Didn't notice how old it was until it was too late

Back