What's new
What's new

Have you seen this Bridgeport attachment

caprio

Plastic
Just picked up a bridgeport mill.
It has an interesting dial indicator on the Y axis. I got it cleaned up and working pretty nice however I'm not quite sure how it operates.
I'm pretty sure there are some parts missing. Thinking there has to be an adjustable rod to lay in the V grove or perhaps a collection of
fixed length rods.

Has any one seen this attachment and can identify? Whats it's official name? Not found any hints on google.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0324.jpg
    IMG_0324.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 344
Early digital readout for more accurate hole locations.

Attachments

• BP meas attatch.jpg
    BP meas attatch.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 185
Yes, they’re for end measuring rods reading in tenths. I suppose ID mics would kinda work (to .001”) if you made some sleeves for the troughs.

As an aside, (may have been stated here before) it was customary for the red mic head to go in the “Y” trough and the green one in the “X” (everyone’s right or wrong the same way). Said otherwise by an old German it’s “Red pecker → Green thumb” as to where the mics were close to which part of you while working...

Good luck,
Matt

Attachments

• End_Measure_Rods_PW.jpg
    End_Measure_Rods_PW.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IDmic_Endmeasure.jpg
    IDmic_Endmeasure.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 95
How does it mount to the knee? Our 1959 Bridgeport had a T-slot down there that we took off when we set it up with a DRO. I always thought it was just for mounting travel limits, but maybe it's part of one of those?

I think both the optical and the end measuring system went on more or less the same way. There were 2 spot faced areas with tapped holes on the knee you could clamp most anything to.

They also had a different way to lock the saddle & table than the usual clamps if you wanted (reed clamp I think they called them).

This is from a 1969 catalog below showing the end measure option.

Good luck,
Matt

Attachments

• BportScaled_EndRods.jpg
    BportScaled_EndRods.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 127

Back