What's new
What's new

Series II clock spring removal

ifurlong

Plastic
I am having an issue moving the quill, it does not move at all with the manual laver, and if something is bound up I don't want to try the powerfeed. I was thinking that maybe the quill is stuck so I was going to spray penetrant in there (nothing look rusty but I figured it couldn't heart) I am trying to remove the clock spring to get better access to the quill but it does not feel like it wants to come out, it rotates and comes out about an inch but then feels like a spring is holding it from coming full out.

Any advise on removing the clock spring or helping to get the quill to move would be greatly appreciated.

I assume that the mechanism is similar to a standard BP quill, where there is a small hook on the quill pinion shaft that captures the end of the spring. That is what is keeping you from pulling the spring out completely; still attached to quill pinion shaft, I think.

If you detach it there, the spring/housing should free up.

I've got a 4hp Series 2 and had the quill spring and pinion shaft out last night coincidently. I wasn't interested in the spring per say, but pulled the entire assembly. To remove the entire shaft assy the clutch and drive must first come off the left side of the machine, and there is a snap ring and washer locating the shaft to the housing under the cover on the LH side. Then the shaft assy with gear clock spring will come out the RH side. There is a "nail head" pin on the shaft which engages the spring. The spring will have to be rewound upon assembly with a spanner. You could probably remove the clock spring assy without the shaft, but mine was a tight fit.

My quill was stuck when i brought the machine home 10 or 12 years ago... trying to remember details but i think i poured ATF into the top of the spindle, and a few days later tapped the top of the spindle with a drift and hammer. First i'd probably pull the left side feed assembly and see if it's stuck. good luck

Take your time and be careful, I have an old scar on my right hand that came from the spring getting away from me. Can not remember if it was from disassembly or reassembly. Can still count the stitches in the 20 plus year old scar.

As far as the quill not moving at all; about a 3 months ago mine seized up. Turns out he gear that engages the rack on theback of quill had broken into 3 pieced. Might want check that shaft connecting the handle through rack gear and then driving the auto feed.

Back