What's new
What's new

Shimming or modifying vice height

rendragyarrum

Plastic
Hello all,

I have a Bridgeport J head. I'm new to machining and I've been slowly been learning functions and procedures. I most often have to hold longer pieces of steel with two vices. My particular 6" Homge vices are slightly different heights from the base to the bottom base of the jaws. The vices look very similar, but are probably different iterations of the same model. Taken with my height gauge, there's a difference of .036" between the two. Also, I trammed the table front to back and left to right. I know i can level pieces in the jaws to the end mill, but I'd like to be able to rest the material on parallels and be fairly accurate between the two.

My question is, what is the best way to match the height of the two vices?

-Shim plate at the base of the low one is a quick fix
-Machine the height of the tall vice
-Buy new matching vices (maybe down the road)

Thanks in advance for any insight!

- Stephen

IMG_3903.jpg
IMG_3904.jpg
IMG_3905.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3903.jpg
    IMG_3903.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_3903.jpg
    IMG_3903.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 82
Hello all,

I have a Bridgeport J head. I'm new to machining and I've been slowly been learning functions and procedures. I most often have to hold longer pieces of steel with two vices. My particular 6" Homge vices are slightly different heights from the base to the bottom base of the jaws. The vices look very similar, but are probably different iterations of the same model. Taken with my height gauge, there's a difference of .036" between the two. Also, I trammed the table front to back and left to right. I know i can level pieces in the jaws to the end mill, but I'd like to be able to rest the material on parallels and be fairly accurate between the two.

My question is, what is the best way to match the height of the two vices?

-Shim plate at the base of the low one is a quick fix
-Machine the height of the tall vice
-Buy new matching vices (maybe down the road)

Thanks in advance for any insight!

- Stephen

Rather than a height gage, mic the vise beds in several places and lookup the model numbers. See if those two models are supposed to have the same height.

For instance I have a Kurt dx6 and a d688 and they have matched heights within less than .001” despite the dx6 being much newer.

You don’t want to machine the vise, though you could have it surface ground (if it is one of the models where the fixed jaw can be fully removed). Kurt has a document on how to recondition their anglock vises, probably relevant to yours since it is probably a Kurt copy?

Phil

If you’re going to be using double vices a lot, I would just machine the difference off the base of the tall vice to bring them level with one another.

qt:[My question is, what is the best way to match the height of the two vices?]
take stock from the bottom.

Very simple job on the surface grinder, likely a half hour job to skim the needed off the back (bottom)side
Having a set of magnetic parallels would be good

Yes an easy milling job also

When I have a couple of mismatched vises, what I do is put 1-2-3 or 2-4-6 blocks on the table and rest the parts on them.

Back