What's new
What's new

Should I power my HLV-H clone with a RPC?

Long Tom

Stainless
Hi folks, just bought a Feeler HLV clone and need to power it. I cannot get 3-phase at my location. From searching old threads, it seems that powering these with VFD(s) is an adventure. While I like VFD’s I don’t want an adventure. Just buy a RPC and be done with it? Anything else to consider?

Thanks!!

In our first shop we had a 5 horse rotary than ran all of the machines except the GT. It would run any of the machines singly down to the Hardinge mill that i think is 3/4 horse power. It would also run every machine in the shop at one time with no issues. I would but the size for the largest machine you anticipate ever using then it should take care of all else. You might ask the supplier if this general observation is still true.

When we were using the rotary we had 5 to 6 employees and might have 7 or 8 machines running at one time including a couple of small screw machines.

Yes, For one machine, I bought a RPC (small one) and mounted it in the base of the lathe. I added a toggle switch to start the RPC before turning on the Hardinge. The wiring was compact and simple: took the two legs right off the three phases fuses and fed the generated leg back to the third-phase fuse.

I Looked hard at A VFD and modifying the barrel switch but eventually went with a small 5-hp American to run a HLV-H and then added a Deckel FP1. Its a more versatile way to convert than vfd. I mounted the rph enclosure in the hollow in the center of the lathe. I initially located the rotor in the tool cabinet to the right, but because of the noise (which may still be quieter than a VFD fan), moved it out to the barn. Quiet, convenient and expandable.

I use a 5 HP American Rotary to run my Hardinge DSM-59 and it works great. Follow the wiring directions to install a disconnect switch to the input of the converter so you can switch off all power to your lathe when not in use, not only the manufactured phase. Mine needs a little grease in the converter bearings about once a year - May want to add that to your order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back