What's new
What's new

Showing/Displaying G-code from conversational

Sparky961

Cast Iron
I wanted to share this tidbit for Bridgeport-Romi EZ-Path lathes for a few reasons. It's incredibly useful to see the g-code this machine generates from the conversational input. I have yet to figure out a way to slow down rapids running a program for the first time (DO PLEASE TELL ME IF YOU KNOW!), so reading through the code can help in this respect. Also, I'm putting this thread here because I knew I found this information a few months back but forgot the obscure (and maybe undocumented?) way to do this.

So, when you have a conversational program that can be viewed (a valid program), go ahead and enter the "run" screen and make sure the program is loaded. Now press the MINUS key (-) and the g-code will be listed, pausing for a key press after every screen.

Due credit to the source, which took some drilling down and honing my googling skills this morning:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...omi-cnc-lathe-199257-post1305880/#post1305880

I hope that sticking this thread here will more relevant keywords will make it easier for others to find in the future.

Additionally, something I learned just now is that the program being displayed is actually the file "G99.txt". This seems to be generated only when loading a program. If you delete it then try the "-" key to display the gcode you'll get an error stating "G99.TXT DOES NOT EXIST" (or something to the same effect).

This is useful if you want to use the conversational interface to generate a program but then make some of your own custom changes and reload the file from gcode.

The general speed overrides (the up and down arrows) also slow down the rapids. I usually single block a program at 5% to 20% until I get to a cut then put it back to 100%

The general speed overrides (the up and down arrows) also slow down the rapids. I usually single block a program at 5% to 20% until I get to a cut then put it back to 100%

This is good to know, but would this not slow down the feed for lines and arcs too? At the speed I'd like the rapids reduced to, the rest of the program would be painfully slow. It also takes forever for the control to acknowledge a keypress for up/down and show the resultant override.

It does slow down the feed for lines and arcs, that is why I run single block and bump the feed back to 100% when it is ready to cut. It kinda sucks, but in my opinion nowhere near as bad as not having a spindle RPM override. If you figure out how to adjust that on the fly let me know. I sometimes feel like these machines were made by someone that didn't know what a lathe was supposed to do.

I sometimes feel like these machines were made by someone that didn't know what a lathe was supposed to do.

Indeed. However, I think there are a bunch of options that were available on these machines. Sounds like you and I are trying to use the base model. I suppose a VFD could be added, but that sounds a little like "effort".

I really miss CSS on the turning center I was last using. Turning a part with a 3" diameter you go from plowing metal away at the center to red ribbons flowing off at the outside. ;)

It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one that has some issues with this machine.

The machine I use has at least has CSS. The problem is when I get a bit optimistic with my rpm for my boring bar and it starts singing I have to stop the program and go in and edit the surface speed number then restart the program. It would be nice to just dial the rpm back the same way you can with the feed rate.

Back