What's new
What's new

Split Bed Turret Parts Diagram Available?

Spyderedge

Titanium
Hey guys,

When I bought my 9" cataract it came with a six-position turret, but because I had an original short bed (to only have a cross slide mounted) I never needed or had the ability to use it. I just picked up a 7" cataract, and now I have a longer bed to use the turret on if I swap headstocks. But here's the problem, this turret is missing a lot of parts and all of its internals. It must have been used as a parts unit at one time.

Is there any way I can find a parts diagram, exploded view, or better yet a section view of the turret? I don't care so much about the indexing mechanism, but I'd love to rebuild the automatic turret lock mechanism if it's practical.

Thanks,

Andre

DSC01366.jpg DSC01367.jpg

There is also a round head Cataract turret, but I don't have a parts list for one.

I think I have a mostly complete hex head turret. I can look for it if you are interested.

Larry

We talked about your turret back in 2017 in this thread -

http://ww.practicalmachinist.com/vb...t-drawings-exploded-diagrams-available-336006

It has some photos of the lock mechanism. I still have my turret apart and can make you some drawings of the parts you're missing for the lock mechanism. See what if any you have. Just looking at that thread, it seems to be quite a bit of parts involved.

Irby

Irby,

I forgot all about that thread, my apologies for the double post. I think I sat the turret under my bench in 2017 and actually haven't touched it since. Let me look back at that thread and maybe take you up on your offer to make up some quick drawings.

Andre,

I had made a drawing of a few small parts that you turret seemed to be missing. I put it on my Flickr page so you can download the full size version.

turret parts 1 | irbyrat | Flickr It's also here. (I just noticed I mis-typed "screw" on the ratchet pawl screw.) :)

attachment.php

For the parts that can be made from flat pieces of steel, I can scribe the outlines of them on thin (1/16" or 1/32" thick) sheets of aluminum and send them to you so you can use them as a templates to cut out the parts. Quicker and easier than using drawings. Just crazy glue them to the work. I'll make those up when we decide which parts you're missing.

Irby

Attachments

• turret parts 1.jpg
    turret parts 1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 97

Back