What's new
What's new

straight edge iron castings

lennynpeter

Plastic
Hi,
Does somebody know who supplies iron castings of straight edges (simple, no camel-back, with 45° angled side). In some previous posts I found a contact of Craig Donges, but he told me not to work with this anymore and gave me instead the contact of Gregory Dermer. Unfortunately I couldn't get in contact with him.
I'm looking for an approx. 38" long casting and if possible already shaped or precision ground, since there is no such a service in the place I live. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
Best,
Peter

These guys offer shorter versions 45deg Dovetail Straight Edge – Coreprint Castings, and you could check with member Richard King to see if he offers anything.

The guys in the first link may be able to cast you a longer blank, or you could just get a length of Dura-bar and cut it to the prismatic shape you need, then finish.

Grinding is not required to start scraping, and sometimes can disrupt the surface chemistry and make a hard skin if not done correctly. If the shape of the straight edge is generally compact, you will have to compensate for gravity sag while scraping and using it as a master.

Check with PM member Richard King. That's his thing, he teaches scraping and I would think he would know exactly where to get something like that.

If you buy Coreprint's prism, make sure you high temp stress relieve it pre scraping. Also suggest reading (amd posting questions like this one) inthe Rebuilding section of PM.

L7

I want to stress what Milland said: such long prism is almost as rigid as an overcooked spaghetti. Dennis Foster's 36" is a good compromise between a regular straightedge and a true camelback one. The camelback should clear all the areas on a Bridgeport when spotting dovetails and it's fairly rigid.
A true camelback dovetail straightedge, like the ones Richard makes, are significantly heavier (the old Bush Precision brand ones are at least 20% heavier than Richard's), but they cover virtually any dovetail.

Paolo

Thanks a lot to all of you for all the information and the fast response, I really do appreciate it!!
As suggested I checked coreprint, but the longest casting they offer is only 18" long. I asked via email if they do custom SE, but haven't got any answer so far. If I understand your recommendations/comments right, I would be better of looking for a camelback SE at a length of approx. 38", because it would be more rigid than a overcooked spaghetti as Paolo mentioned.
I found one casting on ebay (42" camelback with 45° angle) for about $650, but I'm still waiting for the vendors reply, if it could be machined/shaped before shipping. And shipping is around $400, which will be probably the same, doesn't matter from whom I finally can purchase the SE.
Sounds like the best idea is to contact Richard King because of all what I have seen (YT) and heard about him and see what is his recommendation.
Again thanks a lot to all of your for your great comments

Peter

Don't know what you are planning to scrape, but for a project 38" long requiring dovetail scraping, Richard King's HKA48 would work well. I have one, found it easy to scrape in, so would suggest just buying one machined and do the scraping yourself. While your checkbook is out, shorter, lighter straight edges are also very useful...

L7

Many new to scraping buy those prism shaped straight-edges because they are cheaper and lighter. That is a mistake as the bend into low areas or sag over a humped middle. The shorter ones say under 10" don't bend as much. Those prism SE's were designed to use in combination with a camel back with out the angle. Since this thread started Lenny has written me and I told him about a company in Puerto Rico where I taught a class and sold them SE's. I also have a few already planned in Texas at Steve Watkins. Those plain camel back SE's are used to scrape lathe beds or surface grinder flats and vee ways and not dovetails. The combo camel back with a 45 deg. were designed for scraping dovetail ways. They maybe heavier but they are more accurate. Using a flat camel back and prism combo takes approx 50% longer in time and more chance to get false readings.

Even camel backs bend a little.

Back