What's new
What's new

Tapping head recommendation

esaresky

Plastic
Looking to purchase a self-releasing tapping chuck for my Hardinge HC. I know about the Hardinge TT (5/8")and was looking at them used on ebay. Prices range between $275-$375 used depending on the number of collets included. I also thought about a Tapmatic part # 023262 which uses rubber flex collets (not even sure how many are used to cover it's range). That item is about $300 new. Are there other options I don't know about? I would like to have the larger tap capacity of the Hardinge TT. Thanks!

Anything hardinge will be good. Never used one though. I have used Somma's ARTH00 for years now, it has a clean release and positive reverse. I do not get the hammering that I experienced with other tap drivers. Sometimes the hammering can break taps.

Looking to purchase a self-releasing tapping chuck for my Hardinge HC. I know about the Hardinge TT (5/8")and was looking at them used on ebay. Prices range between $275-$375 used depending on the number of collets included. I also thought about a Tapmatic part # 023262 which uses rubber flex collets (not even sure how many are used to cover it's range). That item is about $300 new. Are there other options I don't know about? I would like to have the larger tap capacity of the Hardinge TT. Thanks!

If you buy a Tapmatic try to get the rubberflex collets with it. If you buy them separately plan on spending 45.00 or so each!

Brown and Sharpe made good releasing tap holders and I did a lot of threading with them. Like some of the other makes, they use simple steel split bushings instead of the more expensive Hardinge collets. It was around 1984, but I think I got my tap bushing set from Somma. Somma stuff is good.

I have two or three of the Hardinge TT holders and tap sets, but I got them after I stopped running the turret, so I never used them. I guess I have one or two B&S and maybe a Tapmatic releasing tap holders. Not using them, so they are for sale.

Note that the various makers also made non-releasing tap holders that just have axial motion. Different machine required that stops and reverses instantly at the right depth.

Larry

DSC02449.jpg DSC02450.jpg DSC02451.jpg DSC01232.jpg DSC01234.jpg

Here are two of the TT-5/8 tap holders I have for sale. The one with the flat machined on the shank is suited to set screw type 5/8 bore holders like those a chucker would use. The collet list shows the shank sizes for American taps. I have spare collets for sale also.

Larry

There is one important instruction for using the Hardinge TT tools, made apparent by my experience with buying a couple of used ones. When installing a collet, the collet must be rotated until the slot in the base engages the pin inside the socket. The collet should easily fall almost completely into its socket. If you force the collet into the socket without the pin in the slot, the pin can be driven back into its hole, which then would let the collet spin in its socket while tapping. If the pin is driven deep into its hole, the head has to be taken apart and the pin driven into the correct position by a punch from inside the tool.

Larry

I do a lot of tapping using a Brown &Sharpe non releasing tap holder . You just have to pay attention . I used to use revolving tap holders and if alignment wasn’t spot on the threads never gaged properly. An old crusty turret lathe guy suggested non releasing and that’s all I’ve used since . The other ones are nessasary for close tolerance depth but otherwise not nesasary

I do a lot of tapping using a Brown &Sharpe non releasing tap holder . You just have to pay attention . I used to use revolving tap holders and if alignment wasn’t spot on the threads never gaged properly. An old crusty turret lathe guy suggested non releasing and that’s all I’ve used since . The other ones are nessasary for close tolerance depth but otherwise not nesasary

If a nonreleasing holder is off center it can produce bad threads also. Just part of setting up to make sure whichever holder is correctly centered. I guess a bent spindle on a releasing type could be a problem, but I never had one in any shop I worked at. I did some left hand on my Lin Huan (Enco) turret lathe once and that is the only time I ever used the auto reverse feature. Did not want to be pushing the wrong button to reverse the spindle to get the tap out. The system was very precise and could have been used for depth control with a rigid tap.

Figured I'll give an update. I spoke to a representative of Somma Tool, very helpful and was happy to answer my questions. Their TH00 model is $600 plus the collets. Much less than a new Hardinge TT. Also, they manufacture a large line of the tooling used on HC style turrets. In the end, I went with a used Hardinge TT and 9-pc collet set from Mr. Vanice here on this forum. Packed well and works great. I did just 20 pieces the other day but it took less than 10 minutes. Very nice. Thanks to all for their comments.

Yeah, anything made by Hardinge will be first rate. The Somma I have uses plain bushings that can be made in house. Purchased ones would be a little better. And that Larry Vanice guy is full of helpful info and has enough gently used stuff on hand he could be a supplier.

Back