What's new
What's new

Teco VFD - sharing between two machines

FlyinChip

Aluminum
I have a Teco FM50 Variable Frequency Drive, 1 HP, 115 Volts on my South Bend, works GREAT. Just bought a Bridgeport Series 1 with the old pancake motor, 3-phase. The Teco's are out of stock. These machines will be right next to each other, and I will only use one at a time.

Thinking of using a 15amp triple-pole, double throw toggle switch, and just use the Teco between the two.

Anyone sharing a VFD controller like this?

The FM50's are out of stock because they were discontinued. I don't see anything wrong with you plan, though that's probably not how I'd execute it.

I'm guessing he'd get a second VFD so he can have independent controls for each machine. You can get a decent VFD for the mill for $100 on amazon (Lapond has good support and manuals). Your proposed switch is likely $30 so you're not saving much. The motors aren't identical and while many VFDs allow programming multiple you'd have to go into the menu each time to pull up the mill or lathe. Just not worth it, get another VFD.

Thinking of using a 15amp triple-pole, double throw toggle switch, and just use the Teco between the two.

If you are doing long periods of work on one machine before switching over to the other. Probably won't matter much if you don't alter motor parameters because the HP of the BP pancake is 1 HP too.

Operating like that will test your patience on how much you are saving. Better to have a separate VFD for each machine. In case one of a Teco failure you can use your sharing idea until the failed unit can be replaced with a new Teco.

I'm guessing he'd get a second VFD so he can have independent controls for each machine. You can get a decent VFD for the mill for $100 on amazon (Lapond has good support and manuals). Your proposed switch is likely $30 so you're not saving much. The motors aren't identical and while many VFDs allow programming multiple you'd have to go into the menu each time to pull up the mill or lathe. Just not worth it, get another VFD.

Recommended present-day replacement for the old FM-50 is only $138 from Marshall Wolf - a respected purveyor:

L510-101-H1-U | Teco Westinghouse | AC Drives

I have a Teco FM50 Variable Frequency Drive, 1 HP, 115 Volts on my South Bend, works GREAT. Just bought a Bridgeport Series 1 with the old pancake motor, 3-phase. The Teco's are out of stock. These machines will be right next to each other, and I will only use one at a time.

I would probably use cordset connectors to do this. Twist-lock receptacle on the VFD, and a twistlock plug on each machine.
Only issue is that a full set of cord connectors like this closely approaches a new VFD in terms of dollars spent. You would need
to buy the switch and a housing for it if you went the other way, as well.

I bit the bullet and ordered a Teco 510. In order to switch the VFD and use the FNR lever on the BP, and a speed pot on it, I would have had to switch a LOT of lines between them, just not worth it.

Should be nice to have variable speed etc. Hopefully i find out this BP is in good enough shape to hold reasonable tolerances initially. Going to go through it later.

In fact, I have been looking up info and watching films of teardowns etc. Not a whole lot to these, looks like mainly there's three dovetails X Y Z that can have uneven wear, and two of the acme screw rod nuts could be worn but they can be replaced. In fact I was one video about cutting the slot in the brass nut all the way through, facing it, installing felt in between, and taking up almost all the backlash down to 5-10 thou on the hand wheels.

It all looks so simple. Probably a few landmines I wont expect (like breaking the gib tab off, that was stupid!)

Thanks for all the tips and advice as always

Back