What's new
What's new

Testing bijur metering units, removal of brass oil tubes in HLV-H

Floodworks

Plastic
Hello,

I'm in the process of getting my new (to me) HLV-H up and running. It's in alright shape but the previous owner had run it without wipers for what was clearly a long time, and the teflon under the saddle is dead and the oil ports were totally clogged.

I'm cleaning out the whole lubrication system, and when I tried to remove the metering unit assemblies by pulling on the steel nipples with the o rings attached, I had two of the assemblies come out with the brass pipe still stuck inside the carriage. Now I'm not sure how to get them out or if I should just leave them in? I've flushed them through with WD40 and they are allowing a free flow of lube.

What I want to know most though, is if anyone has a way of testing the bijur metering units to see if they are functioning without connecting them back up to the carriage and distribution block. Some idiot from the past has drilled a hole through the ditribution block causing it to leak oil whenever the pump is used, so I also have to repair that.

Many thanks in advance

Do you have pictures?
Bijur?
Is this a Bijur one shot lubrication system?
The oiling I’m familiar with on HLV-H is the individual reservoirs that you fill and the single sprung lift pump on the carriage to the right of the cross-slide. Is that the one you’re referring to?
What year is your lathe?

If you provide power to the pump 110 or 220v depending on the model oiler you have, the oiler will slowly cycle. It will raise the pump plunger and then let it drop. If you run the output line into a cup you can come back and see if it transfers the oil to the cup. It only pumps a few cc's per hour, and without the end filters it will not build up any pressure.

Just replace the metering units. They are not expensive and are assuredly bad.

Hardinge part numbers
HL 0006424 gasket qty1
LH 0010646 meter unit qty2
LH 001064601 meter unit qty2

The copper tubes were available only as an assembly from Hardinge earlier this year. with the metering unit and the bushing that the metering unit screws into.They are quite expensive. The copper tubes installs onto the metering units with a compression fitting made into its end. If you dont retrieve the ones left behind, you wont be able to assemble them together. Not having the tubes connected would mean the metering unit would discharge into the large volume of the cavity it sits in. Instead of the small diameter tube that leads to the delivery point.

Just replace the metering units. They are not expensive and are assuredly bad.

Hardinge part numbers
HL 0006424 gasket qty1
LH 0010646 meter unit qty2
LH 001064601 meter unit qty2

The copper tubes were available only as an assembly from Hardinge earlier this year. with the metering unit and the bushing that the metering unit screws into.They are quite expensive. The copper tubes installs onto the metering units with a compression fitting made into its end. If you dont retrieve the ones left behind, you wont be able to assemble them together. Not having the tubes connected would mean the metering unit would discharge into the large volume of the cavity it sits in. Instead of the small diameter tube that leads to the delivery point.

Thanks for this, I've found a source for new meter units in the UK. I was thinking I might be able to reseat the new meter units into the copper tube just by pressing them in place, Obviously I wouldn't be able to do up the nut on the compression fitting. I was hoping since it's on the low pressure side, it wouldn't really matter if there wasn't a great seal since it's only really dribbling through.

Hi, Can you say where you got these new parts from? I may need to do the same job when I get to cleaning up my cross slide.

I'm rebuilding the saddle of my HLV-H right as well, and couple days ago I took one of the metering units apart, and there isn't much that can go wrong with it, from the inlet side there is a felt filter, easily replaced, on the other side, there is a pressed in cap that holds a spring, a brass shim and a rubber gasket behind that to form a one way valve, behind that there is the calibrated orifice with the appropriate size needle in there to regulate the flow.

I pulled out the felt and stuck them in the ultrasonic bath for an hour and used compressed air to blow out any residual water and any crud left in there, they did look quite clean going into the bath and came out looking like new.

to test them either make a new manifold, or find a way to hold the metering units inside the original one (mine were just pressed in with o-ring holding them there) when the pump is supplying the pressure and put measuring cups under the outlets and switch on the pump, compare how much comes out of each

or just buy new ones :D

I struggled to remove the meter assemblies because of their location. To avoid damaging them with pliers or excessive twisting I made up a small puller. I removed the ‘O’ rings with a rounded pick and they came out easily with the puller.

I tracked down a UK source for the Oil Feed Meter Units:
Lubetec UK
Springwell Road
Leeds
LS12 1BH
Tel: 0113 246 9333
Web: Fluid Handling Products from Lubetec UK - Est 2004
Brian Potter in Technical Sales was very helpful.
I ordered:
2 off B3215 FRA-0 Meter Unit @ £14.38 each
2 off B3216 FRA-1 Meter Unit @ £14.38 each
Availability: 7-10 days
+ £8.50 P&P + VAT

Ordered on Wednesday afternoon, arrived Friday morning!
Bijur and puller.jpg

Back