What's new
What's new

Thinking of buying this DV-59...

IHateMayonnaise

Aluminum
I've been eyeing this lathe for a couple weeks, trying to convince myself that I can't live without it. Unfortunately, I'm going to be moving in about 8 months, and I know this thing aint light (1200 lbs?), however maybe I can put it on casters for the time being. It's obvious that the tailstock is from a different unit, so god knows what else they replaced, but for $600 for a single-phase unit (to me) sounds like a steal!

I've never had a lathe before (always wanted one), and I figured that a more simple, basic version like this (meaning, without all the bells and whistles), seems like a good place to start.

Any DV-59 owners out there care to push me over the edge to buy this unit?? Or should I just stand tough and plan on purchasing one in about a year??

See below for link :)

Cheers,
Wes

Hardinge Speed Lathe - tools - by owner - sale

It's not a DV. It's got the older split bed rather than the dovetail bed of the more recent DV/DSMs. It also does not have the variable speed of the more recent machines. You probably have fast/slow together with forward/stop/reverse.

You may well know this already, but DV/DSM lathes and their predecessors have no carriage. You manually lock down the cross-slide at a fixed location, and then all Z-axis (lathe centerline) travel has to take place via the compound, the tailstock or the turret ram (on a DSM/ESM). As a consequence, you are seriously limited in how long a cylinder you can turn (much less than the center-to-center distance) and you can cut threads only via a die head.

I have a well-tooled DV/DSM and would not give it up. But I also have a conventional 16x40 manual lathe for work that's not suited to the DV.

My recommendation would be to wait until you are settled in your new location.

1200lbs is on the light side in the machine world. I had a rivett 918 (similar weight and size) on a decently thick piece of wood with suitable casters on it and it rolled pretty easily. Or just get a pallet jack, both make moving really easy. Just be careful as the machine probably doesn't have a wide footprint so it will want to fall on its face. Take your time and you should be fine.

The lathe in the link is a model TR59, made from 1940 to 1945. The serial number is on the back side of the headstock and the year of manufacture can be determined from it. Most were heavily used during WWII, so you can expect wear, especially in the slide rest. That slide rest is from an Elgin Tool Works lathe, which is as old as the TR59 lathe and it will work fine until it wears out. If it needs parts, you have to make your own or buy another used lathe or used parts and hope for something better.

They only came with three phase two speed motors. A single phase motor will not have the two original speeds available (850 and 1750 RPM), so this lathe probably only has the four high spindle speeds available by the step pulleys with a 1750 RPM motor. Some single phase motors (for washing machines and furnaces) do have two speeds, usually 1750 and 1150 RPM. The picture shows an original TR speed plate.

I think the weight is more like 800-900 pounds. The third picture shows a caster bracket I designed specifically for moving Hardinge machines on concrete. Each angle iron has a pad welded at the bottom that the corner of the machine cabinet rests on. The machine is raised only a short distance off the floor, and the casters are installed using a 24" pry bar. The ratchet strap keeps the casters from separating from the cabinet.

The price is not bad if it all works without repairs. You can get new spindle bearings, but they are very expensive and should be installed by an expert if you want them to last.

Larry

TR59 Speed Plate.jpg DSC00530.jpg DSC00508.jpg

1200 lbs for a lathe is nothing, my 13 x 30 Holbrook weighs about 3500. Do you really want a lathe with no feeds and a carriage that has to be locked in place, No threading lead screw? You for sure don't want one that has a single phase motor cobbled on. The issues with finish quality are well documented with single phase motors.

" The third picture shows a caster bracket...."

Nice design. You weld too!

For 600 dollars the machine's not a bad deal. The compound slide is probably pretty worn out and
it sports a very tiny QC tool post which is a copy of the aloris MA, which was sold by littlemachineshop.com
for a while. They've actually discontinuted that so tool holders would be a 'roll yer own' sort of thing.

Also visible but not noted in the ad is a double tool cross slide, and another 90 degree set of cross slides which
are both lever-acting. Possibly not useful the OP but would sell for a small amount of money if put in working
shape.

Suggest this machine be viewed in person before buying. The photo of 'what's under the hood' on the drive
side of the cabinet is missing.

Wow, thank you everyone for your excellent feedback!! I have passed on this particular lathe, for several reasons. Mainly because I did not realize that it has no carriage.

On a side note... I've been looking for my first lathe for a while now, and I could use some advice on what to keep an eye out for. I'm looking for something that's less than $2k used, preferably old school (I don't like plastic in my machinary). I have no qualms about having to rebuild it, in fact I believe that's part of the fun! Threading would be nice, but not absolutely necessary. I just want something that is built tough and produces great results when well-cared for. Since I move every 2-3 years, I would prefer something on the lighter side (<1500-2000 lbs)

I've heard great things about South Bend, and I've been told to not look for anything on the Atlas/Craftsman line. A Hardinge with all the features I want would probably be the best case scenario, but I don't think it fits my budget.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks again!!!

Cheers,
IHateMayonnaise

Back