What's new
What's new

TNC145 monochrome output to VGA?

zebbguy

Aluminum
Men

i Have a Bridgeport interact with the h.h TNC145 control, the monochrome monitor is getting almost to degraded to be able to see!
ive been thinking of converting it to run a VGA monitor this is my plan ....

i think i found the outputs as follows

57-30240 AMPHENOL CONNECTOR[/U]
23,24: +12V
21,22: Gnd
18,19: Video
16,17: Grey/Intensity
4,5: V-sync
2,3: H-Sync
6,7: Signal Gnd

VGA-Pinout.jpg

i plan to chop and solder an old 14pin VGA cable as follows

ill attach h-sink and v-sink
The video output to green+
Signal ground to green-
and leave the rest unconnected

i think voltages on h-sin/v-sink will be ok, but im not sure about the video cable meshing up?

has anyone done this or knows what voltage/current im likely to see on the video output?

thanks

this shows how it should be done:

I did a mock up to test the circuit in case I ever need to change displays on my TNC155 and TNC355, it did work with TNC355 (did not test the 155) and the oldest lcd panel I could find but wasn't stable, maybe the signal level was low or the lcd didn't like the sync frequency - it would display the image for a second or two after switching on the lcd panel and then cut out with "no video signal" message, but while the image was there it was correct - bright letters on black background

It is an inverted MGA signal. If you hook a MGA monitor up to it, it will be inverted[bright screen dark letters, visible retrace]
It was the synch frequency IIRC that causes issues with VGA

hafta watch that video

still have a couple spare old monitors

THe 31.3 khz 58 hz displayed in the video seem like standard VGA numbers, which, I don't think, are what the Heidenhain are putting out. I assume the monitor is converting the signal to something it can use

I vaguely remember that the line frequency was around 31kHz coming out of TNC, at least the 355 I hooked the setup to

I vaguely remember that the line frequency was around 31kHz coming out of TNC, at least the 355 I hooked the setup to

I'think'the 355 is a different monitor

I hooked up the ooooooooooold monochrome monitor, which should be MGA, which should be like 17khz and it worked as I described, a readable image but inverted logic

Some monitors have a wide range of frequencies they will synch to, many will not go slow enough

The video the monitor has sync in the name, so I am thinking it is not a 50 dollar ebay monitor

There is discussion online about running old computers in new monitors, and it is rarely that simple

Cheers gustafson those adapters will have to be modified though to get the 57-30240 AMPHENOL CONNECTOR to work.

Im going to crack on with my vga mod, working in the inverter diodes jz79 posted.
ive got a few old vga monitors i can pop if needs be! :crazy:

Do you have the wiring diagram you show in this video ?
im not sure of the 57-30240 AMPHENOL pin outs now ?

cheers

yes i meant jz79

i had a go at the inverter circuit above couldn't get it to work for my tnc 145, i reckon the mce2vga would have worked though.

I ended up sweating off the glass from the cr tube, cleaning the injected glue film away and re-seating with adhesive silicone.
looks good before.jpg9.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

with much help form this guys vid .. CRT Cataracts: Identification, Removal and Repair - YouTube

putting it back on later fingers crossed it still works!

Back