Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Too Much Work For My M-Head?

Iíve owned my round ram m-head for about 3 years now, and generally it serves me well. I mostly make small parts and work with aluminum. However I am considering building my own Yoder style power hammer which would require milling several dovetails in mild steel or grey cast iron. The largest dovetail is approximately 8Ē long x .75Ē deep x 2Ē wide. Assuming Iím willing to stand at the machine as long as it takes, do you think I can get this done? Any red flags that I might be missing?

Pic for reference:

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sure there are other machines that would make quicker work of it but if an M head is what you have and the part is within its travels it should be able to do that, just will take a bit longer.

3. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blazemaster View Post
    Sure there are other machines that would make quicker work of it but if an M head is what you have and the part is within its travels it should be able to do that, just will take a bit longer.
    Thanks for the re-assurance. Thatís been my thought process thus far. I understand that everything takes longer, but for my shop I really like the size of the m-head.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I assume your machine is hand feed? The Length of the cut is only going to effect your arm muscles. Take multiple lighter depth of cuts and don't crowd the cutter and leave material for a finish pass.

I've found myself using more 2 flute end mills on my machine and less 4 flute and shell-mills. More teeth work faster but require more horse power. Smaller cutters help too, but 3/4" should work fine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by M.B. Naegle View Post
    I assume your machine is hand feed? The Length of the cut is only going to effect your arm muscles. Take multiple lighter depth of cuts and don't crowd the cutter and leave material for a finish pass.

I've found myself using more 2 flute end mills on my machine and less 4 flute and shell-mills. More teeth work faster but require more horse power. Smaller cutters help too, but 3/4" should work fine.
    Correct, hand-feed. Iíve definitely felt the muscle burn before! Itís funny, Iíve found myself going to the 2-flute as well.

The type of metalwork I specialize in requires a lot of patience. Iím perfectly fine taking lighter passes if thatís what it takes.

Thanks!