What's new
What's new

Top turrets headed for the scrap yard!!

rmsfla

Cast Iron
I had salvage 3 compleat Bridgeport dovetailed top turret assemblies from MOOG controlled Bridgeports. They were heading to the scrap yard.
They have the mill heads and motors intact.. everything ease had already had been strip and gone to the scrap yard .(I was too late)
I had cleaned and repainted one in preparation to convert a "T" ram True-Trace tracing mill to a regular type Bridgeport.
I must clear out the storage space.
Is the any interest to anyone ?
What value in these other then scrap?
Robbie's Machine Service

Oh gawd, another "make me an offer" :eek:

Okay, let's suppose you told me in a PM you'd take 200 bucks for each.

Check your email for counter offers.

I'm glad I could be of help.

Gosh I didn't mean to bother the membership with such a question!!
It's just a shame to scrap them...
I'll load them up on the truck tomorrow , take them to the scrap yard and be done with them.
SORRY ABOUT THE POST!

220 Volt,Quick change, Vari-speed ...IIRC... the quills are fixed
Have no camera to take PIXS
I don't do this for a living..
Just helping fellow members out...
Robbie

MOOG Hydro-point ID plate is on the head.
The whole top of these units are Bridgeport variable speed.
This has some parts that can be salvage..like the Vari-speed pulleys ,brake mechanize, 2 HP motors ,aluminum housings
besides the compleat cast iron dovetail turret ,ram and knuckle
They are in the pickup truck now and when I have time this week they will be in the scrap yard..
Last chance !!
Robbie

Why don't you post one of 'em on ebay and see what happens?

V

If the pulleys are in good shape, and they fit a manual Bridgie, chances are those chunks of plastic are worth more than scrap for the rest of the heads.

And 2 HP is a respectable size.

You just need to shop these around as components, I suspect.

Good Luck,
Steve

Park them on CraigsList for a week, at 2x or 3x scrap; you will have a buyer.

"Bridgeport Heads as Parts"

Explain what they are, what interchanges, etc.

What happened ever to simple yes or no answers? Poor guy asks if they're worth more than scrap and the first replies treat him as half tard dealer.... sarcasm and tart responses fall in that if you don't have anything good to say don't say it at all....:rolleyes5:

Do you still have the motors?

What happened ever to simple yes or no answers? Poor guy asks if they're worth more than scrap and the first replies treat him as half tard dealer.... sarcasm and tart responses fall in that if you don't have anything good to say don't say it at all....:rolleyes5:

Alex, was there adequate information in the original post for you to make an informed decision regarding desireability?

Yes, I was a bit harsh, but let's talk about respect for the person responding to a request for an appraisal.

How can anyone give an appraisal, based on the information in the original post?

There are at least three Moog variations, at least two styles of tool-holding, at least two motor voltages, at least 3 horsepower ratings, etc.

I haven't mentioned single-phase, either, or 25 hertz (since the machines are nowhere near Niagra Falls).

Right there, are 36 possible variants, if not 48, if we consider "dual voltage" as a voltage.

The original poster failed to respect anyone who was willing to respond with an appraisal. He needed to not waste the appraiser's time, he needed not to waste a potential buyer's time.

And he failed.

Yes I still have the top turrets and motors..220 volts 3 phase.

Have not made the scrapyard run yet.
==============================
I been very busy the last several days helping a neighbor out.
A big collector of Offenhuser midget racers getting ready for a event here in Florida next week.
Repairing and machining new drive shaft components and other stuff.

==============================
AlexBanich
I like to say "Thank you" for being polite and showing positive criticism .

I like to think that I do contribute in some way to help the membership out.
Weather it be in a form of my opinion or experience.

I look to this site as a great place to air Ideas , resolving problems and at times...post opinions ..
I realizing that everyone has a different personality
Some are inpatient,rude or sarcastic....on the other hand
Just the opposite ...
There are good guys willing to share and help others in a constructive manner.
This kind of site it takes all kinds.

Robbie

Last edited:
I'm just ignorant about the MOOG.

I can help out some more:

Are these 240/480 dual voltage?

Are these R8, or KwikSwitch, or........?

Pulley drive, or vari-speed?

Do they have quills?

How about a photo?

You do this for a living, and you won't volunteer the details?

We have to drag the details out of you?

Perhaps you could contact this seller, and sell him one?
Alliant vertical mill

You seem to be very knowledgeable about MOOGS and the different models.
Why were not successful ? Did the company go out of business?
Were they inaccurate ,slow ,complicated or just out dated?
Hated to see machinery in the scrap heap.

Then there were two!!

Have two turrets now
Gave one away this afternoon....
Suggested to make a reasonable donation to local Disable American Vets
He surprised me by handing me a check for $300.00 made out to them.
Robbie

You seem to be very knowledgeable about MOOGS and the different models.
Why were not successful ? Did the company go out of business?
Were they inaccurate ,slow ,complicated or just out dated?
Hated to see machinery in the scrap heap.

My education began when my machinist buddy came along when I took at look at what HILCO was liquidating at the Automotive Components Holdings plant here in Indy, on English Ave.

At the time, I would have suggested "Don't waste your time" to the curious, but now that the plant closing is official, perhaps the "good stuff" is being publicized.

Anyway, when my buddy saw the Moog, he started laughing.

Today, he was telling me the system depended on the incompressibility of fluids to be reliable. In the real world, fluids pick up moisture, air, and perhaps some biologic activity that creates (compressible) gases.

Anyway, Wikipedia knows more than I do, I just know that old CNCs tend to be abandoned, unless they can be retrofitted to common tooling, common controls, etc.

BTW, if anyone gets curious and seek out the ACH listing on the Hilco site, the South Bend Turnado is worn out, if that's the one I looked at.

If one was to search P.M. for "Moog", there are at least a dozen threads, and (apparently) some of the machines are still in use. The second or third reply to the thread usually expresses surprise.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/moog-hydroform-vertical-mill-153555/

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...es/hydraulic-copier-bp-convert-manual-116388/

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...thes/moog-hydra-point-endmill-holders-185474/

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/moog-hydroform-vertical-mill-153555/#post1087202

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...es/30-taper-spindle-manual-bridgeport-150340/

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/bridgeport-hardinge-mills-lathes/bridgeport-moog-mill-116330/

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/moog-hydroform-vertical-mill-153555/

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...thes/moog-hydra-point-endmill-holders-185474/

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/bridgeport-hardinge-mills-lathes/moog-table-190672/

And I can't resist copying and pasting from the last link:

Funny...what you want is just the opposite of what most Moog owners want. Most want to convert the machine back to the original Bridgeport type table. What the heck happened to the orignal Moog table ?

redlee
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Moog Bridgeport is like new, I was thinking if I could get 2 top tables I could marry them together. since the table is so short, dont know if Im crazy but it was an idea.

moonlight machine
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that because it has been broken down most of its life?

Robbie,

While locating those Moog threads, this firm was mentioned:

.VISIMETRICS
NY, 14207 BUFFALO, 2290 KENMORE AVE
Phone:(716) 871-7070

.Visimetrics specializes in upgrades and customization of CNC machine tools and other computer controlled production equipment. We also completely support MOOG HYDRAPOINT, MHP MACHINES, and TURNEX product lines.

While it may be too far to ship an entire head, perhaps the spindles may be valuable to them?

I also found this interesting comment:

An Erickson Quick Change #30 spindle is compatible with NMTB #30 tooling. You have to remove the quick change nut. And an Erickson #30 quick change toolholder is usable in a standard #30 spindle with the use of a drawbar.

Whether that is true, or whether that applies, I have no idea.

Steve

Gone!!

The Bridgeport heads were removed from the turrets and was told that they could be used for a CNC quill axis servo down feed .

The dovetails turrets were scraped.

Bartered with G&G Machinery in Pinnellas Park Fla.

Thank Guys for the positive input on this matter..
Robbie

Alex, was there adequate information in the original post for you to make an informed decision regarding desireability?

Yes, I was a bit harsh, but let's talk about respect for the person responding to a request for an appraisal.

How can anyone give an appraisal, based on the information in the original post?

There are at least three Moog variations, at least two styles of tool-holding, at least two motor voltages, at least 3 horsepower ratings, etc.

I haven't mentioned single-phase, either, or 25 hertz (since the machines are nowhere near Niagra Falls).

Right there, are 36 possible variants, if not 48, if we consider "dual voltage" as a voltage.

The original poster failed to respect anyone who was willing to respond with an appraisal. He needed to not waste the appraiser's time, he needed not to waste a potential buyer's time.

And he failed.

All I have to say to this reply is that if you don't know.... well YOU DON'T KNOW.... asking for information is a sign that YOU DON'T KNOW and therefore how can it be a sign of disrespect to the "appraiser" if you're openly in the opening post saying I DON'T KNOW and would like somebody to inform me so that I DO KNOW.....

We apparently quickly forget that what we as individuals consider to be "common knowledge" is not so common for everybody. I am guilty of making the same mistake. However, I do not introduce sarcasm in to conversation until I am sure that the person I am conversing with is aware of my intents with such sarcasm. I've said it time and time again people are just not aware that written words are completely different that spoken. Open for the readers interpretation due to there being no nonverbal communication which defines your spoken word.

As far as respect goes it is earned and not just freely given (at least by this guy). Therefore, I will give you my respect on your knowledge base for this particular topic. As far as your emotional conclusion jumping I now put you as must tip toe through the tulips during conversations due to immediate disrespect conclusions. I digress, and some times forget that even though we are on an intellectual discussion forum we are, for the most part, industrial workers. Due to the nature of our work environment we some times forget to review ourselves for political correctness and consider alternative view points.

I will end there seeing as the thread is concluded and I am now beating a dead horse. As well if I were the moderator I would be getting ready to step in and scold myself for sticking my nose in where it does not belong. Conclusion: Be nice with each other.....but its still open season on spammers :D

Back