What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Weight

Bassbum2

Aluminum
Hi All,

I may be looking to buy a Bridgeport in the future but need to know the approximate weight as it will be going in a space that may be hard to get it into. Also, how big of a door does it need to fit through? Can one easily be broke down to make it smaller and easier to move?

Thanks in advance
Russell

About 1 ton on the weight. Can't see getting one through a standard 36" doorway without taking the table off, but maybe you could do some rotate and shimmy thing and move the table back and forth :scratchchin:.

Regards.

Mike

Base 9*42 machine is 1988 per BP. A couple of years ago, Milicron posted pictures of getting a BP through a 36" door. It all depends on how much room you have on either side.
JR

Bridgeports move like cake with a standard pallet jack. Just don't tip it over. ;)

They can be taken apart with an engine crane. I have read of guys disassembling them so they could put the machine in a basement. Winding the table left and right will get you though a 36" door if you take it from an angle.

If a Gorton Mastermil will fit, a Bridgeport oughta'

The angle through the 36" door thing works but you will have to wind the table back and forth a couple times to walk it in. I got my GORTON 1-22 Mastermil through a 36" doorway just barely and it's a bulkier mill. I had to rotate the head down since the motor was higher than the doorway, so check your height too.

The best tool I've found to shimmy a big mill around is a long crowbar thing about 6 foot long. I inherited mine from some old guy years ago. Now I'm the old guy.:eek: It's basically a long hex bar about an inch across flats with a slight bend at one end that tapers down to a flat end like a crowbar. Just get it under the machine and lever against the floor and swivel. Even a big machine can be coaxed into a corner.

Hope you find your BP.

=vonzapp=

It's basically a long hex bar about an inch across flats with a slight bend at one end that tapers down to a flat end like a crowbar. Just get it under the machine and lever against the floor and swivel. Even a big machine can be coaxed into a corner.vonzapp=
Better known as a 'Peavy Bar' I believe.
pg

Bridgeports move like cake with a standard pallet jack. Just don't tip it over. ;)

Having seen it happen I can confirm that a Bridgeport makes a very impressive bang if it does go over!

Not, in my view, a job for those unskilled with or unused to pallet trucks. Best to spike it to a pallet first if you can arrange the lift. Unless your route is real smooth with no sharp turns or shunting around I'd also arrange some timber "sort of H with bottom rail" shape frames to strap under the table set to 1/2" or so off the ground by adjusting the knee. Put them close to the table ends so it can't tip far. Then if it does make a bid for freedom everything ends up safely parked up whilst you figure out what to do next whether to just adjust the knee for a bit more clearance and carry on, arrange extra supports or whatever. Naturally use a proper industrial rated pallet truck. Some of the imports are horrifyingly flexy.

Generally up to "a ton and some change" lifting'n shifting is basically common sense, not getting underneath the load and making sure that things can't go very pear shaped before parking up secure whilst you figure out what to do next.

Clive

Better known as a 'Peavy Bar' I believe.
pg

To me, a peavey is a cant hook with a point, used for flipping timbers:

Welcome to Peavey Manufacturing Company

What is being talked about I would call a "stevedor bar", but McMaster just calls it a Offset-Chisel and Pointed-End Bar :angry:

The 60" length is plenty to move a Bridgeport, and the machine even has a baring slot in the front center of the base casting.

Dennis

Actually, no!
Snow last night so SWMBO wanted to leave for work early. We work about 1/4 mile apart. The roads were good so I was in very early. Took about 15 min. to find.
JR
BTW, it's lunch time now and I have to get back to work.

Back