What's new
What's new

Turn-Pro HLVH copy

Mickey_D

Stainless
A friend of mine is downsizing his shop and I bought a couple of machines from him. One was a Turn-Pro 618EVS (says made in Taiwan and is inch/metric). Not much tooling with it but I have a rather cranky (spindle drive wise) Hardinge HLV-BK (British built narrow way model) that can share with it. The clone did not appear to have been used much, still has the plastic cling on the switch panels, and no marks on the ways. Runs nice and quiet and everything seems to work. Of course there are no manuals so I am trying to figure out who made it so I can print one out before an elusive online version dissolves into random bits. Anyone know who made the lathes that were labeled as Turn-Pros and have any opinions about them?

In some research I did a few years ago it appears that all the Taiwanese copies of the HLV style machines were coming out of the Cyclematic Machinery factory in Taichung Taiwan and just re-branded for whoever wanted to sell it

Got to spend a little time over the weekend looking at the lathe more (have it in storage in the new shop that we are building). I found one date tag that was for 1-11-2000 and lots of old cosmoline. After looking at Tony's site and seeing mention of a Sharp with a non-hardened bed, I ran a file on the back corner and it is hard so I feel better about that. No VFD in the cabinet and the variable speed seems to be a nice copy of the HLVH drive

Attachments

• tp918.jpg
    tp918.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 47
A friend of mine is downsizing his shop and I bought a couple of machines from him. One was a Turn-Pro 618EVS (says made in Taiwan and is inch/metric). Not much tooling with it but I have a rather cranky (spindle drive wise) Hardinge HLV-BK (British built narrow way model) that can share with it. The clone did not appear to have been used much, still has the plastic cling on the switch panels, and no marks on the ways. Runs nice and quiet and everything seems to work. Of course there are no manuals so I am trying to figure out who made it so I can print one out before an elusive online version dissolves into random bits. Anyone know who made the lathes that were labeled as Turn-Pros and have any opinions about them?

I think Turn Pro is an MSC brand. They should have all the propaganda for it.

Back