What's new
What's new

VFD for 600v 3ph

overkill19

Plastic
My new to me Hardinge TL lThe is in need of a 220 single ph VFD input to a output of 600V 3ph. Does anyone have a good brand name or source to buy from other than the overseas junk on eBay.

We beat around the idea of swapping the motor to a 240v 3ph as the VFD’s I found are cheaper for that output but then you have to mess with the internal transformers etc.
Plus I’m told Hardinge used a balanced motor for a smoother operation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only step up VFD's I have ever seen is 120v 1ph in and 240v 3ph out.

For higher voltage I think you are going to need to use a step up transformer.

I use a step up transformer intended for step down of 600 to 240V, 5000VA rating though about 2500VA is sufficient. This feeds an older Allen Bradley VFD, both purchased used. Only cost about $200 for entire set up from a used parts electrical supply shop. Check with local HVAC shops as they often upgrade drives and keep the old ones.

My new to me Hardinge TL lThe is in need of a 220 single ph VFD input to a output of 600V 3ph. Does anyone have a good brand name or source to buy from other than the overseas junk on eBay.

We beat around the idea of swapping the motor to a 240v 3ph as the VFD’s I found are cheaper for that output but then you have to mess with the internal transformers etc.
Plus I’m told Hardinge used a balanced motor for a smoother operation

600 VAC 3-P is a royal pain in the arse (and worse..), both now and going forward for an application of such low power.

You should still see if you can find a 2XX Volt motor that's a good swap and JFDI all the rest to bring it into line with more-common Hardinge practice. Hardinge OEM motor if you can find one, but special balancing is no show-stopper - most motors are balanced well-enough.

run it from a 480v vfd and don't load the motor beyond 75% nameplate torque.

?? Prolly easier to find that class of goods in Red Deer, Alberta than in "Algeria", but still....

He HAS only a 2XX service. Motor swap means simple dirt-common VFD - or even an RPC and he's at full performance or near-as-dammit.

No extra transformer. No added external high-voltage rated switchgear and/or protective devices.

And then there is shock and fire hazard.... 600 V must have made sense where the lathe USED TO live - an industrial environment with utility-mains 3-Phase, almost certainly.

That no longer applies and is not likely to do, ever again. Why preserve 600 V at extra expense and risk?

You may or may not be able to find them wherever you are (ALGERIA??), but the Danfoss VLT 5000 series are bullet proof and available for 600V service. They are also protected against downstream switching, so you can just connect the VFD to the lathe's power cable and not have to mess with the controls.

I feed my 23kVA one from a single phase step up transformer after disabling the 'lost phase' warning for the input and power the entire workshop from it.

run it from a 480v vfd and don't load the motor beyond 75% nameplate torque.

We talked about that as a option. But I usually try to spend money once so if it’s all the same I’d rather rig up once and have full range.

PS tapatalk wont let me put Canada in my profile. It keeps defaulting if I put in USA it defaults to Afghanistan... I hate apps

k wont let me put Canada in my profile. It keeps defaulting if I put in USA it defaults to Afghanistan... I hate apps

I'd have thot most Canadians were aware they were in "North America", geo-continentally, but NOT in "USA", geo-politically, and above average FIRM about that not-so-minor distinction.

So WHY would you "put in USA" at all?

Attempted virtual grudge f**k? Or what?

:)

I'd have thot most Canadians were aware they were in "North America", geo-continentally, but NOT in "USA", geo-politically, and above average FIRM about that not-so-minor distinction.

So WHY would you "put in USA" at all?

Attempted virtual grudge f**k? Or what?

???? I have zero clue as to what u are trying to say ?
I was curious as to what would it would default to is the only reason I tried USA , I tried Australia as well it flipped to Brazil...

Just “THOUGHT” I’d try it to see what would happen....simple!

.... the Danfoss VLT 5000 series are bullet proof and available for 600V service. They are also protected against downstream switching, so you can just connect the VFD to the lathe's power cable and not have to mess with the controls.

I feed my 23kVA one from a single phase step up transformer after disabling the 'lost phase' warning for the input and power the entire workshop from it.

Didn't know there was such a thing. And I assume it also runs multiple machines, switching on and off. Effectively a solid state RPC. Thanks for the education.

Damn. Now I might even change my mind about VFD's.

Any oddities/workarounds to the system?

Didn't know there was such a thing. And I assume it also runs multiple machines, switching on and off. Effectively a solid state RPC. Thanks for the education.

Damn. Now I might even change my mind about VFD's.

Any oddities/workarounds to the system?

Might want to grab the manual on their current model and see if what you need is (still) supported, first.

The maker's website lists that older model line as being past end-of-life for sales & support.

I just talked to my local eecole electrical supply. Over they phone they list a 240v 1ph input - 600v 3ph output. $689CAD
So they do exist. I think she said Square D makes it

I just talked to my local eecole electrical supply. Over they phone they list a 240v 1ph input - 600v 3ph output. $689CAD
So they do exist. I think she said Square D makes it

Square-D - one of my personal "value for money" favourites - is owned by Group Schneider - who ALSO own several other makers, some with superb reputations, as Schneider are fair-decent at their management and technology.

That said, not all their component companies and products are equally well-regarded.

Suggest you take the <Model Line ID> as a search term. Something like:

"problems with <Model Line ID VFD>"

Page Two:

Download the manuals. Zoom-in on labels. Determine where the factory is.

Not just this one. ANY goods where this sort of pre-purchase research is cheap and easy.

Rewire the motor for delta and run it from a 480v vfd reprogrammed for 377vac/60hz

Or just run it from a 480v vfd programmed for 480v 48hz. Youll get full torque up to 48hz

You can run a 480v vfd (if it has a bank of 2 sets of 400v capacitors in series ) from 240v system by connecting line 1 of your 240vac supply to all 3 of the. L1,2,3 inputs. Other line goes to the midpoint of the capacitor bank. (Google fullwave voltage doubler)

You will need to derate the drive significantly and defeat its 3phase loss protection circuit if it has one.

Add more capacitors to get its full capacity back.

Is there Any brand you know that can supply such a VFD? if you could have a model number that would be awesome! Sounds feasable if you have the right equipment!! I am in Canada, thanks !!

Back