What's new
What's new

VFD for the Bridgeport

Bellaru433

Aluminum
Hello,, I'm wondering if anyone out there can help me with this situation of mine .. I want to hook up a VFD (Teco 50) to power my three phase motor on my Bridgeport .. I was going to get the one where I can take my 220 single phase input and it will produce three phatse 220 output .. Then I noticed they make some that will transform 110 single phase into 220 3 phase.. Well I still get the same amount of power if I transform 110 into 220 3 phase as opposed to transforming 220 single phase...?
Also I have a Teco 50 that says 220 3 phase input 220 3 phase output.. Will this unit also transform my 220 single phase into three phase or is it strictly three phase in three phase out...?
Any help would be greatly appreciated I know absolutely nothing when it comes to electrical. Thank you ..

vfd ouput 3 phase, Maybe some do single- but that would be rare. Some of the lowest (hp not quality) end can take 110 in, some low ends take 220 1ph some take both 1ph and 3ph (the highest rating I have seen is for 5hp), after that they all move to 3ph. All still output 3ph.

Not sure about the Teco50,

But If you have a 220 single phase input into a VFD and the VFD is using 10amps to produce what ever 3 phase out,
and you change to 110v single phase input into the VFD, it will take 20 amps in to produce the same 3 phase out.

a VFD is just a highly customizable 3 phase inverter.

It is my opinion that you should get a VFD bigger then you need so if you need a VFD for 2 hp get one rated for 3hp.

I am not familiar with the Teco50 specifically either...but in general VFD’s are programmable, so most can take 110/220/380/440/single/or 3 phase for the input. The input is rectified and charges a DC capacitor, which then synthesizes the 3 phase wave form. So, in a properly designed VFD the output power will be fine with any of the inputs, at least through about 3HP.

Back