What's new
What's new

Vfd for j head mill

mkrich

Plastic
I put a vfd on my j head mill for the purpose of single phase to 3phase power. I removed the high/low switch because everything I read stated the vfd should be wired directly to motor. My question is how do I get higher rpms. The speed knob works but only goes to about 500 rpm’s. How do I get it where I can use the 500-3200 range. 3A10C492-0248-4CCA-946C-2DB22B69D83B.jpg

Kind of depends on how you have the VFD wired. Have you tried shifting it in to high and reversing the motor?

Teryk

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Yes I have run it in reverse. Call me a idiot but I don’t know how to shift it in high. I am new to milling machines. Have been running a lathe but not milling machine. Thanks for any help.

OK Idiot ! LOL On right side of the head towards the lower edge there is a small lever with a label that says "speed range " with low and HI. You should download the free manual before you damage something.

Your motor has to be set at its fastest speed and the vfd can slow it down, if you are only getting 500 rpm, then your motor is set at 500 rpm. I hope that made sense

OK Idiot ! LOL On right side of the head towards the lower edge there is a small lever with a label that says "speed range " with low and HI. You should download the free manual before you damage something.

Yup, do some reading, and watch some of the videos on YouTube. Their quality is variable so start with good authors like mrpete222, joe pieczynski, suburban tools, this old tony.

Tip: when moving from low to hi range use the jog function on your VFD to engage the gear - don’t force it or do it under load. Also, the neutral position between hi and low is useful when you need to rotate the spindle by hand.

I leave my VFD set to mains frequency and control the spindle speed using the machine’s variable speed drive. I find this kinder to the motor than altering the frequency to change the speed.

Mal
AKA The Felsted Skiver

Back