What's new
What's new

Vfd on a Variable speed mill

427Thunderbolt

Plastic
Can I run a VFD with a 3 phase Alliant knee mill that has a variable speed motor ? Any pros or cons ? Any recommendations on one of I can ? Thanks. This is my first mill so I’m a newwby

There is nothing that can convince me to not run a VFD on any machine , I use them on everything, total control and phase conversion ... Do it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When you run your VFD on a varispeed head, do you guys control speed via the VFD or the head? Do you guys change out the variable pulley for a stationary one?

When we fix 2J heads that are run on a VFD, we see that the motor shafts get tore up from being run in the same spot...

Just a thought.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

We wish we still had the "vari" in ours.

The previous owner was a small machine shop that stripped out the variable speed parts as they were worn out and replaced with single speed pulley and added vfd, he had 3 phase so matching size.

We are single phase so it has issues with heavy cuts and back gear is needed.

The variable speed allows torque to be there if needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

When you run your VFD on a varispeed head, do you guys control speed via the VFD or the head? Do you guys change out the variable pulley for a stationary one?

When we fix 2J heads that are run on a VFD, we see that the motor shafts get tore up from being run in the same spot...Just a thought. Jon H&W Machine Repair

When I run my 2J head VFD powered machine, I vary the speed using the mechanical split pulley system. Never have a need to further vary speed with the VFD.

I use the VFD primarily for phase conversion, once I used the VFD to slow down the spindle when low is not low enough for some oddball boring job I was doing. Usually the VFD is set at 60HZ and I use the vary speed head. It is quick, easy and works.

Ditto

I use the VFD primarily for phase conversion, once I used the VFD to slow down the spindle when low is not low enough for some oddball boring job I was doing. Usually the VFD is set at 60HZ and I use the vary speed head. It is quick, easy and works.

And it means you use still use the varispeed which is meant to be wound up & down thru the range periodically

Last edited:

Back