What's new
What's new

Way Lube Manifiold Metering Units

John M

Plastic
Does anyone know the correct sizes & order of installation for the metering units on the manifold under the table (of a Bridgeport Series 1 - early 80's vintage) for the Bijur one-shot lube system? I've got the metering units which are a mix of size 0 and 1 but I'm not sure which ones go where.

Thanks!

Alfetta.

Have you all ready mixed up the lube units on the manifold. I normally just change them out one at a time. The old ones coming out of the manifold will be marked. I’m guessing you have 4 size zero’s and one #1.

The rating one is twice the oil shot of the size zero.

http://www.devcocorp.com/american/bijurmeters.htm

The size “one” should be dedicated to the feedscrew. Chase out the lines or blow them clear to work out which goes where.

Regards Phil.

Thanks for the info. Yes - I pulled all the metering units out and managed to mix them up.

The manifold on my machine has eight metering units on it - the majority are size 1 with a couple that are size 0.

Size 0 go to the leadscrews. All the others go to way surfaces. I always replace them one at a time and flush as I go along, starting with the one closest to the feed line. Pull one out, pull the plunger on the pump, then take the loose line going to the delivery port and flush it with a oil can pump with an old metering unit drilled and screwed onto the end of the spout. Cleans out the delivery lines. No oil delivered means more work. Hope this helps. Bill

Alfetta. O.K That makes sense if you only had two size zero’s, they must be for the screws. I had that ass about above. I always liked more oil going to the screws Maybe I just hate recutting acme screws and nuts.

If you have gone to the time and effort to change the meter units. Did you also drop the reservoir and give it a clean. Over the years especially with Vactra, you get that waxy settlement on the bottom of the tank, clogs meter units.

G’day Bill. That’s a good idea about using an old meter unit to purge the lines. Must remember that.

Regards Phil.

Thanks for the help with this - this makes sense. I did clean out the resevoir and I also changed out the filter & screens. Good suggestion regarding cleaning the lines.

Bumping an old thread since my question is somewhat relevant. My BP manifold also has eight metering units, 6 FJB-1 and 2 FJB-0. It just so happens I have a box of the FJB-1 units on the shelf, enough to replace them all. Would it be a problem if I replaced the "0" units with "1" units? So the screws get a little more oil, will that be an issue? Just wondering if I am overlooking something like an unbalanced oil system that won't function correctly if I take this route. Thank you for your time.

Best Regards,

Chad

The answer is a definite maybe!

Basically the amount of oil delivered in each line is proportionate to the restriction in that line relative to the total restriction of all lines. The screw feed lines are essentially open so the metering unit pretty much defines the restriction. The slide-way lubricators feed onto bearing surfaces with minimal clearance and, hopefully, a pre-existing oil film so there is a good deal of extra restriction at the output end. Hence smaller metering delivery units are needed on the screw lubricators to ensure that they don't hog all the oil.

Without measurements there is no way of knowing whether using same size metering units all through will seriously disturb the distribution or just give a bit more oil on the screws. Its probably safe to assume that Bridgeport had good reason for the different sizes although they may just have followed fairly standard "known to work" practice rather than engineered the system from first principles.

Clive

Thanks for the responses guys. I will just order up some "0" fittings and do it as OEM. Was hoping I could save some down time.

I did notice something interesting though. I had miscalculated on the fitting count. I actually had 3 "0" fittings and 5 "1" fittings on the manifold. This prompted me to check my other machine. It also had 3-0 and 5-1 count. One is a '76, the other '80, series I machines w/8 hole manifold. I then traced the lines to see where they went and this is what I came up with on both machines:

L Rear Table- 1
R Rear Table- 1
Rear Feednut Oil Port-1
L Front Table-1
Front Feednut Oil Port-0
R Saddle-0
L Saddle-0
R Front Table-1

Both Knee fittings- 1

For this vintage, the zeros going to the screws is incorrect. One is "1", the other "0" per above.

Hi All,

First post here, though I have read many and found lots of useful info!

I am rebuilding an early 80's series 1 bridgeport here in the UK, and I am at the stage of refitting the one shot lube system - the parts I am taking off don't seem to have seen fresh oil for some time...

For these meter units would any of you happen to know the correct thread for these? There are a few alternative from the suppliers I am looking at, and don't want to order the wrong ones...

Thanks,

James

My Bijur book shows two threads available on meter units:

"Thread A" is 1/8" NPT, which is a tapered pipe thread, used where the units screw into headers;

"Thread B" is 5/16-24 N.F., which is a straight machine screw thread used in the compression nuts.

This is for the products sold in the US, I'm not sure if those used in the UK were the same.

Dennis

The metric versions use 8 and 10 MM wrenches, the inch uses 5/16 and 3/8". The same tubing is used for both 5/32" / 4MM.

The inch threads are 5/16-24 N.F. Metric is 8 X 1 MM.

Inch system pipe threads use NPT and metric uses BSP In the UK all bets are off here.

Bill

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments - had a measure up last night, and fairly sure these are 1/8 BSP on my machine - is a Series 1 Bridgeport, badged as 'Textron'.

Think I will order some parts up based on this. If it would be of interest to anyone I could post some pcitures up when its all done (will be a while)?

Thanks,

James

Ref: 1968 BP Series-1 J-Head
My BP does not have a Bijur Lubrication System and I’d like to install one. Not sure if my year model came with one. Mine has a total of 8 Zerk Fittings on it.
Is there a source I could find a diagram, showing correct metering numbers, so I can retrofit?
Thanks Leaky

Back