What's new
What's new

Wells Index Spindle Won’t Spin!

Dan McDonough

Plastic
First mill, got it home, got it unloaded, leveled, powered and the spindle does not go.

I watched Steve Watroba’s YT video (part 41) for some insight inside of that part of the head. It was helpful to see, but I don’t have a press to go after the whole takedown.

One clue may be that I moved the speed control arm with the power off before knowing not to. Aside from that, it was running just before I left with it from the seller.

Any insight would be great. I’m excited to keep learning and soon get to actually run this machine. I could use some ideas from those that have had their open and are familiar with the Wells Index 847. I’ll check in often to see what has been posted.

I do have the manual and am slowly working through the possibilities. It’s taking me a little time to get used to how W.I. Lays things out there.

Oh and, yes it turns on, Yes the belt is moving. No there is no grinding noise. Yes the break is off. Yes the spindle rotates freely when I turn the pull bar. Hopefully there’s a clue in there somewhere.

If you wells is similar to a BP, the gear shift from Backgear, to direct belt drive has 3 position, forward pointing lever is belt, next just a bit down is neutral , lever back is backgear.
just tap the handle amd it should pop to belt drive.

If you wells is similar to a BP, the gear shift from Backgear, to direct belt drive has 3 position, forward pointing lever is belt, next just a bit down is neutral , lever back is backgear.
just tap the handle amd it should pop to belt drive.

Thanks, I’ll give it a wack.

Gave it the old Fonze and it worked. I took it out and put it back into low range and it hasn’t worked again.

I talked to Marty at Wells Index and he said it’s most likely a key. Time to get an engine hoist and pull it apart. I’m going to replace the brake shoes anyhow.

I am a bit late.. Maybe. If you have already removed the head, my advise is likely late, if still assembled suggestions. The shift lever is held in with a plate, countersunk screws get loose, and cause the lever to stick, just before engagement. You can guess how I know this LOL. Next is worn pin on the lever, all before going inside the head.

Lets hear how it goes.

Back