What's new
What's new

What is the definitive lubricant?

PCFree50

Plastic
I have been told to use many different types of oils that are supposed to be the best to lubricate my J-heads and ways.
I want to hear from this group what the consensus is on lubricants that should be used.

I have been told to use many different types of oils that are supposed to be the best to lubricate my J-heads and ways.
I want to hear from this group what the consensus is on lubricants that should be used.

The answer depends on wether your Republican or Democrat

Lol

I use Mobil Vactra II for way oil. I think you can get it in less than one gallon containers but I buy it by the gallon. Many shops to much larger quantities. As to Bridgeport heads I use motor oil and it seems to work fine.

I looked in the corner and I found a gallon jug of Velocite #6 (Mobil) (spindle). I thought I was using Velocite #2. I will have to look some more and see if I have a jug of that somewhere.

I will be watching this thread to see what others say.

Read what the manual says for your model and year. If those lubricants have been improved then used the new and improved lube.

any way oil is better then no way oil. as long as its spec as a way oil, ive got iso 68 way oil which has tackifiers to help it stick and not flow off. mine came with what looked like hydraulic oil on it and it just ran right off the ways.

This is what the manual says.

Way Surfaces and Lead Screws: Sunoco Waylube #1180 or equivalent

Milling Heads (Spindle Bearings): S.A.E. 10 or 10W Light Oil (None on grease-packed heads)

If you do a search on Sunoco #1180, you will get many hits here.

Sunoco 1180 meets the requirement of ISO VG 68 way oil. Other oils such as Mobil Vactra #2 also meet the ISO 68 spec and are therefore equivalents. Though these oils are equivalent to 20W oil in weight, I would not assume you can substitute 20W motor oil because motor oils contain additives not appropriate for machines.

The reason why there are so many discussions and opinions about oil is that oils and greases are complicated!

I buy small quantities of oil from this ebay seller.

Last edited:

Back