What's new
What's new

What is difference between DM-59 and ESM-59?

jkycia

Plastic
Hello
I thought I had an ESM-59 but now I see DM-59 looks very similar.
How can I tell which one I have?
Mine has been heavily modified in that it use a single pulley with a DC motor.

Thanks,

Jan

I know nothing of a DM-59. Where did you find information on one? I see someone on eBay says they have a DM-59, but I wonder why they say that. It looks like an ESM-59. It is very common on eBay for ESM lathes to be advertised as the newer model DSM and for TR lathes to be advertised as the newer model DV. Maybe ignorance or maybe trying to deceive.

I have an ESM-59, a split bed model made from about 1940 to 1946, when the DSM-59 with the dovetail bed was introduced. Here are pictures of the ESM brochure, the electrical plate from one and my serial number on the back of the headstock. Note the second page of the brochure is numbered Page DSM-2. My observation is that, in that time frame, Hardinge used descriptive model names (high speed precision second operation lathe) on the brochure covers and kept the model designation (ESM-59) almost hidden from view. By 1960, the model designations were printed prominently on the brochure covers.

Larry

DSC02489 (2).jpg DSC02490 (2).jpg DSC02455.jpg ESM59 Ser.59-22955-1 1 (2).JPG

The person selling it to me called it a DV-59. He said that is what the person who sold it to him called it. He is a watchmaker and mainly uses a Boley Lathe but used this for bigger parts.

It has the split bed. It looks like the ESM59. As you say, I see the DM-59 on eBay. My serial number is 59-19843-1 . The previous owner did not like the metal table and replaced it with a wooden work bench. The name plaques have fallen off. I have one sitting loose and it just says Hardinge Elmira NY. Mine has a 1 HP DC motor. The top speed is 1200 RPM which is a little slow for the small diameter pieces and small holes I tend to machine.

DV-59 = dovetail bed
ESM 59 = split bed

A split bed 59, aka ESM-59:

The picture shows a TR (with tailstock and slide rest), which is the same basic machine as an ESM (with turret and lever cross slide). These designations were analogous to the next generation 1946 models DV (with tailstock and slide rest) and DSM (with turret and lever cross slide).

I bought my 1945 ESM-59 in 1982 and was fortunate in that it came with the whole set of kit: thread chasing attachment (T-slot on back of bed), 1960 model turret, lever cross slide, tailstock and 1960 model slide rest. You could also outfit a DV or DSM with the complete kit, either when buying new or adding on later. Hardinge, at one time, was happy to sell a 1960 model turret or slide rest factory-adapted to update an old split bed lathe.

Larry

OOps. Wrong picture, eh?

DSM1.jpg

Same machine - it came with both sets of accessories. The compound slide above is a retrofit, the slide that came with it is a never-used, never installed steel dial compound.

This was a zero-hours machine I bought from an old wire-drawing die factory. The tailstock still had the hardinge cosmoline on it. I have never used a tailstock as closely fitted and as accurate as this one. It takes a dial gage that reads below a ten thousanth to see the slop in it.

Back