What's new
What's new

What do I need to do at this point to remove my rear bearing?

Hephaestus29

Plastic
I tapped the spindle out towards the tailstock side and the front bearing and
cover all came with with it.
The rear bearing is still in place, does it get removed on the collet closer side or on the tailstock side?

Can I not post a picture?

I tapped the spindle out towards the tailstock side and the front bearing and
cover all came with with it.
The rear bearing is still in place, does it get removed on the collet closer side or on the tailstock side?

Can I not post a picture?

FIRST thing you "need to do" is try to stay in ONE thread for ONE machine-tool. Add-on to it.

Instead of starting a new thread from scratch as you encounter each and every component of a project.

Rear bearing .... on WHAT?

I had to go and look up your other threads.

Even so, it is only a GUESS you mean:

"on the same Hardinge lathe I have been working with".

Continuity. I helps us all.

LOL well sorry for my ignorance of the
rules or personal rules on PM.
I used to have an account here years ago but stopped posting here because some people were so particular about where topics needed to go, I guess it’s still the same or hasn’t changed much anyway.
If there’s a moderator here that wants to combine all my ignorant idiotic posts onto one thread feel free. The reason I’m posting here now is that it seems that there are more people ready to post a response.

This forum layout is a bit different than a couple I’m used to, it might take me a bit to get things down but I’ll get there eventually. Your patience is appreciated. H

LOL well sorry for my ignorance of the
rules or personal rules on PM.
Not "rules" or people being "particular" about where stuff goes.

Plain old common sense!

I can't help you with a Hardinge "rear bearing".
Automotive transmission output shaft? Mayhap I could have..

I used to have an account here years ago but stopped posting here because some people were so particular about where topics needed to go, I guess it’s still the same or hasn’t changed much anyway.
Why WOULD it change? You haven't learned anything.

Would you care if the milk and orange juice are mixed together?

Seem like a good idea to differentiate beween sugar, salt, and cooking oil?

Eggs, pickles, and peanut butter should all be in one jar?

Scramble yer breakfast eggs in a bedpan? Take yer coffee out of the toilet?

Machine is an HLV-H
Yes the machine has a few issues, it’s
50 years old. Bearings sounded dry and there was some play.

It probably needs to come out from the collet closer (left) side. You will need to be replacing these both yes?

If need be warm the headstock casting by placing a 60 watt lamp in there for a bit.

Your lathe probably has an angular contact pair, one at the front and one at the rear, a preload cylinder on the spindle
and a outer preload cylinder inside the headstock casting. Did you read Mark Weber's (aka guner's) instructions?

Back