What's new
What's new

What is this Hardinge machine?

RalphStirling

Aluminum
I was asked to look at some machines for a widow this afternoon,
and this Hardinge machine was not something I'm familiar with.
It was rather hemmed in by boxes, so I wasn't able to find an identifying
plate besides the "Hardinge" logo. It has a 5C collet in a spindle, and
a three-axis table. It also had a couple of extra DC motors and speed
controls bolted on for unknown purposes.

Could someone enlighten me on the model and how it was used?

Thanks!
-- Ralph

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 548
If the table swivels, it's a model UM. (Hard to tell from photo, but looks like it might.) If the table doesn't swivel, it's a model TM. It's not a BB or MD model.

Tony's site (lathes.co.uk) says this machine would have been used either in a toolroom or in production.

Although the bottom of the picture is dark, I see the outline for the swivel table pieces which would make this a Hardinge UM. One other feature this mill doesn't have is factory table feed for the X axis. If there is a DC motor attached to drive the table it was done by an end user although some later machines came with factory Servis table feeds. If the overarm, arbor support and arbor are missing the value has plummeted. You can find these parts on ebay occasionally but will cost in the range of $300 - $600. Without all the missing pieces I'd pay $300 or less depending on condition.

The photo is poor, but the factory feed gearbox is pretty visible on the right side underneath the table.
Agree that there's a 90 percent probability this is a UM, with the swivel table.

I agree with Jim that the power feed final drive assembly is present beneath the table but the pulley drive system and telescoping shaft to power the drive are missing in the photo. There appeaars to be a relatively small market for these TM-UMs but they were well built, if not a bit clunky, and capable of considerable accuracy within their modest work envelope. The OEM main drive motor would have been three phase....who knows what it may have been converted to based on your mention of DC motors being present.
Jim

Hunting the missing parts (overarm and arbors) or having them made would make little economic sense, unless the mill was free, delivered for free, had work waiting for it, etc.

A horizontal mill might not need an overarm, but we see only the tip of the "missing parts" iceburg.

Looks like it was simply a drum sander.

Hmm. Yep the drive shaft's MIA!

Also the huge clunky belt guard, also gone.

Missed that stuff.

With any luck the owner removed them and set them aside.

Thanks for all those comments and suggestions. I'm
still puzzled about why a horizontal mill would have a
5C collet where the arbors would normally be. When
I saw the thing I first thought "horizontal mill", but that
collet baffled me. Must have been a heavily modified
machine. I wish I could have gotten more photos.

-- Ralph

Thanks for all those comments and suggestions. I'm
still puzzled about why a horizontal mill would have a
5C collet where the arbors would normally be.

-- Ralph

At a guess it's historic: Hardinge's early millers used a lathe headstock and spindle, the collet nose was simply retained and the arbour adapted to fit the nose.

hardinge/Cataract Millers

I found always the 5C collet nose on my Haighton (UK made copy of a UM) very useful, it holds an endmill well enough for light milling, and it allows the machine to be pressed into service as a lathe when necessary.

Bill

I'm still puzzled about why a horizontal mill would have a 5C collet where the arbors would normally be.
This is not terribly unusual for small horizontal mills. The Barker PM mill (still made today) takes an even smaller 3C collet. (The Barker AM mill is large enough for an NTMB 30 spindle taper.)

And, no, it's not heavily modified (at least in regard to the spindle collet taper). That's the way Hardinge sent them from the factory.

Back