What's new
What's new

Z-Axis Quill DRO for Tree 2UVRC/2UVR - Solution

gburkhard

Plastic
Hi All,
First of all this is my first post, so forgive me if this is the wrong forum topic (I couldn't find anything Tree specific). I joined the forum in order to share this in case it can help someone:

I have a Tree 2uvrc and looked for months for any solutions to mounting a linear scale for z-axis information via the quill and found no solutions. I came up with this solution and it is working well (better than 0.001" precision and about 0.001" repeatability/accuracy). It's not an easy fix but if you own the machine, then making these parts shouldn't be a problem ;). I've attached pictures. I tried to attach a STEP file of the full assembly but it's 5MB and the attachment limit is way less so here's a Dropbox link, which hopefully should work for a few years, at least.

Dropbox - FullAssemblySTEP.STEP

To make things easy, the rack is this:
A 1C12-Y482

and the pinion gear is this:
A 1P 2-Y48046A

both are orderable online at shop.sdp-si.com

and the bearing is just a regular 11mm o.d. x 5mm i.d. x 4 mm depth bearing, which you can get anywhere.

The shaft for the pinion gear should be cut for a sliding fit inside the bearing (don't think of it as a classic pressed on fit). It's just there to take up any wobble forces from the quill shaft's threads not being perfectly co-axial with the shaft itself. It doesn't need to be pressed on, and you don't want it to be because you'll have to slide the assembly further onto the shaft in order to tighten the set screw on the pinion gear and then pull it back once the screw is tightened. This is hard to explain but it'll all make sense if you view the assembly.

Good luck, and I hope this helps! Finally getting a DRO on this thing has made turn-around so much faster for us.

IMG_20181119_105400.jpgIMG_20181119_105408.jpgIMG_20181119_105417.jpg

Back