What's new
What's new

2D sketching software to replace eMachineShop

Cognisant

Plastic
I've been using eMachineShop to do sketching for some time and for whatever reason their latest version doesn't work on my computer and of course they won't let me roll back to the previous version. So I'm looking for an alternative and thus far I've tried half a dozen programs without success, all I need is 2D sketching that lets me group objects (like how I could group things in eMachineShop) so I can assemble multiple parts in one drawing.

For example I'll draw a 200mm by 5mm rectangle to represent the side view of a 200x200mm 5mm thick plate, add 5x5mm squares to the rectangle to represent 5mm holes in the plate, group those squares and rectangle (a group of objects), then position a screw I drew earlier (another group of objects)on the "holes" so I can see at a glance how far past the bottom of the plate the screw goes.

Is this weird, am I being weird? Why is it so hard to find simple 2D drafting software with which I can do this?

Of course I could do it with AutoCAD LT but I don't want to pay $460/year for something so simple.

I've been using eMachineShop to do sketching for some time and for whatever reason their latest version doesn't work on my computer and of course they won't let me roll back to the previous version. So I'm looking for an alternative and thus far I've tried half a dozen programs without success, all I need is 2D sketching that lets me group objects (like how I could group things in eMachineShop) so I can assemble multiple parts in one drawing.

For example I'll draw a 200mm by 5mm rectangle to represent the side view of a 200x200mm 5mm thick plate, add 5x5mm squares to the rectangle to represent 5mm holes in the plate, group those squares and rectangle (a group of objects), then position a screw I drew earlier (another group of objects)on the "holes" so I can see at a glance how far past the bottom of the plate the screw goes.

Is this weird, am I being weird? Why is it so hard to find simple 2D drafting software with which I can do this?

Of course I could do it with AutoCAD LT but I don't want to pay $460/year for something so simple.

Hi! My name is Alan and I am part of the customer service team here at eMachineShop.

Were constantly making improvements to the software and would like to see if we can resolve your issue. Can you detail your problem, along with your computer specifications and email them to me?

Hope to hear from you,

Alan Stern
[email protected]

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I've tried Draftsight and it has everything I need but I cannot work as quickly with it as I could with eMachineShop, for example if I want to draw a single shaft wheel hub motor in eMachineShop I just define three rectangles and click/drag them together and they automatically snap on their midpoints which means I can draw that in under 30 seconds (in other words I'm spoiled and lazy). As for the other suggestions they all seem to be some form of 3D CAD which I'm not really interested in because I don't design anything that really requires that and when I do need something in 3D I use Blender because again I can work really fast with it.

Fair warning for anyone that tries Blender, it's fast to use but not fast to learn and especially counter intuitive if you've used other 3D modelling programs.

Hi, just wanted to check back in on this thread to see if you have been using Draftsight and if you find it to be a good emachinshop replacement. I also really like the emachineshop software, but I need to export dxf files and they started charging to do that. Or does anyone have ideas what the best alternative is now in 2020? I also like the simplicity and flatness of the program.

Back