What's new
What's new

3DSystems sells Cimatron / Gibbs

jeffj

Aluminum
3DSystems acquired Cimatron for $97million - and is now selling it to Battery Ventures for $65Million
3D Systems Announces Sale of Cimatron and GibbsCAM Businesses | 3D Systems
Battery Ventures Acquires Cimatron and GibbsCAM Businesses from 3D Systems | Morningstar

Battery Ventures, if that sounds familiar, is the venture capital group that bought Vero (Visi, EdgaCAM, SurfCAM, WorkNC, etc) and flipped the whole thing to Hexagon.
This acquisition is being run by the same people that ran Vero under Battery.

He pops up in this thread to defend his Holy Grail but he hasn't even looked at the month old thread where someone is asking where to buy Bobcad.

When Gibbs sold his creation, things were going well. The problem with all this is that you have to pay (and retain) high priced help to keep the software up to date. So, it appears that these systems are all being conglomerated into one or a few with the holders being the ones with the deep pockets. Expect more predatory pricing schemes in the future - even worse than you see now. As said earlier, for years, even decades, the computer and software industry wrinkled its nose at machining and CNC. It does so no longer as it now sees the potential for (and realization of) real profit. You can't sell a word processor for $30k but you can sure sell a CAM package for that.

He pops up in this thread to defend his Holy Grail but he hasn't even looked at the month old thread where someone is asking where to buy Bobcad.

I can't be everywhere for everyone! But I try and do the best that I can. Thank you for pointing out that post, I just made a reply. The " He " is Al DePoalo! lol

Showing my age here, but I still remember Bill Gibbs sitting at Westech at the LA convention center doing his demo presentations for anyone that was willing to listen. We ended up buying several seats. This was back when the software ran on an Apple Macintosh.

Showing my age here, but I still remember Bill Gibbs sitting at Westech at the LA convention center doing his demo presentations for anyone that was willing to listen. We ended up buying several seats. This was back when the software ran on an Apple Macintosh.

I remember the old Morristown NJ show at the armory, and he was there on a white box Mac running stuff. Wow, that was like 85 or 86.

With Apple switching their MacBooks to ARM processors, I'm not sure anyone will ever be doing much CAD/CAM or engineering on a Mac in the future.

With Apple switching their MacBooks to ARM processors, I'm not sure anyone will ever be doing much CAD/CAM or engineering on a Mac in the future.

I was at the launch today for the 13" here in Asia and it was all I could do to not snatch one up. That M1 one is smokin fast. They had one setup to the Mac 6K XDR monitor and gaming on it over wifi and it performed perfect. It was just a few kickers that turned me off. Still only has two thunderbolt ports and max 16GB ram option. I just bought a new 2020 13" this year with a 512 and its full already so not going down that road again. The turn on was she said the 14" with the M1 is coming out soon with up to 3.3TB HD, 32 ram, and four thunderbolt ports. Worth the wait I think...

My poor little 4 core I5 2.0 runs Parallels VM with Featurecam, Solidworks, and PTC Creo simultaneous just fine, I can't wait to see what 8 cores CPU and 8 cores GPU will do. 13" is too small for my vision and 16" is too big for lugging on a plane. I think the 14" with the ARM will be a nice "Fit all, universal" unit. I don't think I'll be buying one of those fancy $6k 32 monitors Apple is pushing but the laptop looks promising.

Back