What's new
What's new

5 axis repositioning moves / Mastercam

BRIAN.T

Cast Iron
I'm running mastercam to Camplete for a Mikron mill e500u w/ heidenhain.

Camplete only recently allowed for Mastercams multi axis linking functionality, so I've been playing around with it, before this I would just do full retract for repositioning. Multi axis linking is not always the best option, or the smoothest, granted it's a new thing for me, but still.

I'm thinking rapid axis moves with tcpm on would speed things up, especially for b axis moves, but obviously that doesn't always work, c axis moves could be problematic.

So my question is what do other people do? Exclusively multi axis link? Repositioning moves with tool center comp? Do you program the last toolpath to end where the next one starts? What's the ideal, fastest method? Thanks

I only use multi-axis linking for drill toolpaths. But my machine is fast, has a really tiny work envelope, and the manufacturer has built in approach/retract macros for milling. Are you setting the step angle big enough that it's only one continuous move?

Interesting, which machine out of curiosity?

And I've tried a few different varieties, large angle step, small angle step. I've never considered one single step. That could be interesting.

I remember Matsuura did something odd with the linking moves like this that was changeable via parameter, but linking moves were always really jerky while in TCPC/DWO.

I remember Matsuura did something odd with the linking moves like this that was changeable via parameter, but linking moves were always really jerky while in TCPC/DWO.

Aside from the parameter change, did you come up with a solution that wasn't machine specific? Do you typically reposition 5 axis?

Seems like I get good smooth motion with 4 axis type reposition moves, but as soon as I add that 5th axis it slows down. Unfortunately I can't always use 4 axis moves obviously.

I'm running mastercam to Camplete for a Mikron mill e500u w/ heidenhain.

Camplete only recently allowed for Mastercams multi axis linking functionality, so I've been playing around with it, before this I would just do full retract for repositioning. Multi axis linking is not always the best option, or the smoothest, granted it's a new thing for me, but still.

I'm thinking rapid axis moves with tcpm on would speed things up, especially for b axis moves, but obviously that doesn't always work, c axis moves could be problematic.

So my question is what do other people do? Exclusively multi axis link? Repositioning moves with tool center comp? Do you program the last toolpath to end where the next one starts? What's the ideal, fastest method? Thanks

Depends on the part & size really. I use repositioning with TCPC where I can. If there's short moves between toolpaths or slices of toolpath, distance or angular. Sometimes I can kind of plan it out as I'm adding toolpaths, or I'll just add them later if there's a better way to sort things around.

Many times it doesn't make sense to add all kinds of linking moves to get to the other side of a part and instead just fully retract, rotate and re-approach. Hypermill comes to mind... they like making cool-looking videos where the tool is making all kinds of linking moves cut to cut, moving the part all around when a lot of times it is really wasteful motion. Sure is fun to watch though.

We never got it figured out before I left the shop, and to be blunt the guys there now don't have the wherewithal to get it figured out. All it would take is a few phone calls to CAMplete and Matsuura I just never had the time. I would start with the MTB applications guys and then talk to your post processor guys?

Back