What's new
What's new

5 Axis Transition Moves

imachine909

Cast Iron
When programing a 5 axis part in CAM how do you handle the moves from say A+90 to A-90? Do you program this motion or let the post handle or maybe something else? I am currently at point where I want to settle on a solution sit with it. We have been doing many different solutions for this and I want to start stream lining this process. Wanting to here what everyone does and pros and cons.

When programing a 5 axis part in CAM how do you handle the moves from say A+90 to A-90? Do you program this motion or let the post handle or maybe something else? I am currently at point where I want to settle on a solution sit with it. We have been doing many different solutions for this and I want to start stream lining this process. Wanting to here what everyone does and pros and cons.

what CAM are you using? a lot of high end packages have linking moves to do just that.

Depends on the CAM platform.

ight now I have mine setup so that it goes home (Z, then X/Y, then C, then B) in between 5 axis paths unless we specifically program a linking move. The trip to home is not simulated in CAM, but the linking moves are.

*edit* it skips the path home if sequential operations are at the same frame. Like if it is already at B-15, it's not going to go home, tool change, then go right back to B-15.

Depends on the CAM platform.

ight now I have mine setup so that it goes home (Z, then X/Y, then C, then B) in between 5 axis paths unless we specifically program a linking move. The trip to home is not simulated in CAM, but the linking moves are.

*edit* it skips the path home if sequential operations are at the same frame. Like if it is already at B-15, it's not going to go home, tool change, then go right back to B-15.

We have used this approach some. Only draw back is it isn't the most efficient especially if you run larger machines.

If using NX - You can set your common Clearance (plane, cylinder, sphere, cube, etc)
Then also double check your Between Regions moves, within region moves, and initial&Final moves in the Non Cutting Moves tab.

Are these separate operations, or within one operation?

If using NX - You can set your common Clearance (plane, cylinder, sphere, cube, etc)
Then also double check your Between Regions moves, within region moves, and initial&Final moves in the Non Cutting Moves tab.

Are these separate operations, or within one operation?

These are separate operations. When within the same operation I know of many ways to address these moves.

We have used this approach some. Only draw back is it isn't the most efficient especially if you run larger machines.

LOL I am imagining how pissed somebody would be if they were proving out programs on an 80ft gantry and it went all the way home in between toolpaths. :D

This is something Esprit TNG does pretty well - automatic solutions for linking moves, and full simulation of them.

You can usually have your post set up to handle it how you want; either to rely on you to properly program linking moves, or to automatically handle it safely. Since I do all prototype and short run my post does a full retract for any trunnion repositioning move (not in the cut).

hang, on, you mean to tell me that NX doesnt have linking moves? are these moves with the same tool or different tool?

When using one tool going from one operation to the next. Each operation being on different sides of the part to my knowledge NX does not have any linking moves to get you from one operation to the next. So this motion will also not be simulated.

You can usually have your post set up to handle it how you want; either to rely on you to properly program linking moves, or to automatically handle it safely. Since I do all prototype and short run my post does a full retract for any trunnion repositioning move (not in the cut).

Yes, we do this currently. But this method is slow and does not show in simulator in the CAM.

When using one tool going from one operation to the next. Each operation being on different sides of the part to my knowledge NX does not have any linking moves to get you from one operation to the next. So this motion will also not be simulated.

ouch, thats rough... i'm surprised, figured NX would be able to do something that basic and necessary for 5x stuff

Yes, we do this currently. But this method is slow and does not show in simulator in the CAM.

True, it is slower. And safer. I could hand code a shorter retract easily enough if I were optimizing for a long run. And true gcode verification is where it's at, everything else is only verifying intent; if your post does something the CAM doesn't expect you won't catch it.

You try Merge Concatenate? That's kind of what it does, allows you to set NCM moves for in between operations.

merge1.jpg

You try Merge Concatenate? That's kind of what it does, allows you to set NCM moves for in between operations.

View attachment 303578

So I have only looked at this briefly. I don't see a way to address going from A+90 to A-90. Yes it will show you and allow some control for 3 axis toolpaths one to another operation. I will as this specific quote on the NX forum.

You can handle it in the post but need simulation IMHO.

Like anything in NX... there are a million ways to do something.
You can control the change with a UDE
You can setup predefined conditions for different degrees of angle change.
You can setup different safety retract positions around the part using MCS objects.

I would hit up Marek @ NCMatic... Tell him how you want to handle it and I'm sure he can make it work in your post.
I heard they are trying to build CAM objects for this in future releases but not sure how far out that is...

NCmatic Siemens PLM Solution Partner

I looked into doing this a long time ago but we never did it
I sold the slow Quaser machines and didn't need it anymore...
Calculation minimum Z retract - YouTube

Back