UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    I'm not disputing what's being reported here,

but the "Executable" i.e. the software update should not affect "data" stored in files.

When you create things like newer tweaked toolpaths that data is saved in a file stored on a location within a larger file structure. An update of an executable should not overwrite stored files and data ?

It would be a super risky strategy if Autodesk had a scheme where the update reads all your files and replaces everything with a new file structure and then writes out all the previously read data into the new file structure … That would be "Madness" / very risky. [Kinda Mac-like ;-) ].

For engineering software where things can get dangerous, that would be a real "No-no" .
    Why not store you programs on the network where you are not over writing programs?

Every program I make gets posted to my desktop and after I do that I make my minor edits and then move it the network where we store all files to each machine. We never over write the current file on the network.

2. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's really fucked up.

Well it's the same structure on the cloud they can't munge the executable with your files.

$5 says they have "version control" in the cloud for your account, they can roll that back one day or a specified number of hours if they wanted to but that would open the flood gates for all kinds of demands.

Geeeeeez.

I knew Fusion was cloud based but didn't fully understand ALL your files are "In the cloud".

Not very secure from many perspectives... I'm old school I don't even let my programmers send me stuff via-drop box. etc. Too vulnerable.
    yeah, tough lesson to learn

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnrs View Post
    Why not store you programs on the network where you are not over writing programs?

Every program I make gets posted to my desktop and after I do that I make my minor edits and then move it the network where we store all files to each machine. We never over write the current file on the network.
    thats what i do with our other stuff thats not in fusion, my mistake for relying on autodesk :/

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnrs View Post

Funny I have to get my head around posted code as a 'Program" as we computer-programmers look at those as a 'File"

So what you are saying is grab your posted G and M code file ("Program" to run on an cnc machine.) so it can't be lost.

But seems that Fusion 360 would not have the ability to reverse engineer the tool paths represented by the saved G-code file into the CAD/CAM data structures to "work" the software in the way the tool paths were created.

So you guys are saying the Tool path "tweaks" were done to the G-code posted file (directly) or were the tweaks higher level CAD/ CAM based geometric tweaks that can only be implemented through the Fusion 360 interface...

Sorry for being dumb here.

Software interface ----> CAD description ----> Internal geometric description of tool paths + software "methods" to edit/interact ---> Output G-code + output Fusion file for storing CAD/CAM description for future editing.

Output G-code ---X---> Internal geometric description of tool paths + software "methods" to edit/interact

^^^ There's no path for that, you need the software specific files for internal editable and displayable schtufff that Fusion needs to do what you do in creating said tool paths ? No ?

If you loose that intermediate / internal CAD/CAM file then everything becomes "Stuck" / frozen in that G-code (version)and you have to go back and rebuild everything in Fusion 360 from scratch if you want something artfully different from the posted code. Above and beyond just manual tweaks to the posted G-code file.

Seems that the new version of Fusion 360 is not reading it's files centered on it's internal descriptions correctly... file reading has been truncated somewhere, and doesn't follow through to latest changes that Empwoer made to his work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is is true that everytime you open the "CAM file" that it re computes the toolpath?

7. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was the file open when the update came in? I have had part files get corrupted when an update came in while I was working on them. I have learned more than once INSTALL UPDATES BEFORE DOING ANY WORK ON A FILE!!!!!!!!!! You may go a few years with no problems then WHAM it happens again. I have never had problems with files that were not open AND saved right before closing Fusion to install the update.

If you contact AD about this do so through their forum and attach your diagnostic log files. The forum is the only place I have been able to talk to someone at AD with any intelligence and they will need your log files to figure out what happened.

9. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aldepoalo View Post
    Is is true that everytime you open the "CAM file" that it re computes the toolpath?
    I think it only re computes the toolpaths when any changes are done to the model.

11. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    I think it only re computes the toolpaths when any changes are done to the model.
    Yes, unless it's doing it silently I don't see anything update on loading.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It only regenerates the toolpath when you tell it. If you change the model and don’t regenerate, you will get a warning that prompts you to rerun the toolpaths
    What I don’t think I understand is it sounds like the OP was making parts. Which means he post-processed and presumably has those files on a usb drive or in a folder somewhere, so your pre-tweak work should still be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post
    It only regenerates the toolpath when you tell it. If you change the model and don’t regenerate, you will get a warning that prompts you to rerun the toolpaths
    What I don’t think I understand is it sounds like the OP was making parts. Which means he post-processed and presumably has those files on a usb drive or in a folder somewhere, so your pre-tweak work should still be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    problem is i overwrote the previous G code because i made a tiny adjustment to one of the toolpaths and i didnt notice that the toolpaths were reverted to older state... like i said, lesson learned but we'll most likely look to get away from it unfortunately, this kinda shit is dumb AF

15. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you are working on a file and an update gets downloaded, then you save your part and install the update, it can corrupt the file you were working on. I have had this happen at least 3 times to me over the years.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aldepoalo View Post
    You can lock toolpaths also (something I always do when I have proven a program) and then it won't change them unless you unlock them.

18. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny I have to get my head around posted code as a 'Program" as we computer-programmers look at those as a 'File"

So what you are saying is grab your posted G and M code file ("Program" to run on an cnc machine.) so it can't be lost.

But seems that Fusion 360 would not have the ability to reverse engineer the tool paths represented by the saved G-code file into the CAD/CAM data structures to "work" the software in the way the tool paths were created.

So you guys are saying the Tool path "tweaks" were done to the G-code posted file (directly) or were the tweaks higher level CAD/ CAM based geometric tweaks that can only be implemented through the Fusion 360 interface...

Sorry for being dumb here.

Software interface ----> CAD description ----> Internal geometric description of tool paths + software "methods" to edit/interact ---> Output G-code + output Fusion file for storing CAD/CAM description for future editing.

Output G-code ---X---> Internal geometric description of tool paths + software "methods" to edit/interact

^^^ There's no path for that, you need the software specific files for internal editable and displayable schtufff that Fusion needs to do what you do in creating said tool paths ? No ?

If you loose that intermediate / internal CAD/CAM file then everything becomes "Stuck" / frozen in that G-code (version)and you have to go back and rebuild everything in Fusion 360 from scratch if you want something artfully different from the posted code. Above and beyond just manual tweaks to the posted G-code file.

Seems that the new version of Fusion 360 is not reading it's files centered on it's internal descriptions correctly... file reading has been truncated somewhere, and doesn't follow through to latest changes that Empwoer made to his work.

All programs/NC files I make go to my desk top and there I make the proper changes to the NC file that will go on the network that runs in our Mills. I have to manually store all NC files on the network to the machines in the shop can read them When the operators are done proving out the program in the machines they send the program back to the network which get upload to a save folder. I will then verify everything is ok before moving it back into the proper directory for future jobs. So what I am trying to say is I don't post and go with our software and any major updates or changes will never change the programs on the network. If there is a revision the new program doesn't over write the old program.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They should focus on fixing ANY issues people are having, not keep tinkering and tinkering to please a person here and there with how the toolbar looks. For all the waterjet and plasma guys, they STILL will NOT let you easily export a .dxf and still will not give you options like other software on what version .dxf to save it as. You think with the sheet metal updates they have been doing this would be a thing on the priority list that everyone has been asking for for around 4yrs I think.

But no, pretty tool bar it is!

21. Likes empwoer, wheelieking71, gmoushon liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaltz View Post
    They should focus on fixing ANY issues people are having, not keep tinkering and tinkering to please a person here and there with how the toolbar looks. For all the waterjet and plasma guys, they STILL will NOT let you easily export a .dxf and still will not give you options like other software on what version .dxf to save it as. You think with the sheet metal updates they have been doing this would be a thing on the priority list that everyone has been asking for for around 4yrs I think.

But no, pretty tool bar it is!
    couldnt agree more. dont get me wrong, i LOVE the layout of the software and how easy it is to use/navigate. but they do have some major issues they need to address before paying attention to the look pretty stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would never purchase any CAD program that is completely cloud-based as seems to be the case described by the OP. In addition to being insecure, stuff like this happens. It's bad enough that many (if not most) "updates" have bugs (sometimes serious bugs), now they are forcing one to use and debug the buggy updates with no option (doesn't matter to them apparently if it completely stops the ability to work). We commonly used to skip, sometimes a couple, "updates" with Unigraphics (NX). (Not to mention, functionally I can still do 99% of work on a 2005 version of Unigraphics, still residing and accessible on the PC--so much for "updates") . People need to scream at these vendors and vote with the pocketbook.

24. Likes empwoer, cameraman, mtlhe, mhajicek, barbter and 1 others liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i got ahold of tech support, we were able to retrieve an earlier version thats mostly good, i'd only need to make a few changes to get it to where i need to. i'll definitely be saving local versions from now on.

26. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by empwoer View Post
    problem is i overwrote the previous G code because i made a tiny adjustment to one of the toolpaths and i didnt notice that the toolpaths were reverted to older state... like i said, lesson learned but we'll most likely look to get away from it unfortunately, this kinda shit is dumb AF
    Have you thought about using an archiving solution? GitHub would work for this, if you have a PLM you may be able to put it in there.

i got ahold of tech support, we were able to retrieve an earlier version thats mostly good, i'd only need to make a few changes to get it to where i need to. i'll definitely be saving local versions from now on.
    That's good news at least. One thing I like about the Fusion team is that they seem very responsive. I don't have experience with any other Autodesk products, so I can't speak to the company as a whole.

28. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So how much of your time and how much production time was wasted.
    These are the little things most don't look at when figuring the true cost of a piece of software.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by goooose View Post
    So how much of your time and how much production time was wasted.
    These are the little things most don't look at when figuring the true cost of a piece of software.
    good amount, especially considering 2 parts were scrapped and couple tools broken