Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    I think it only re computes the toolpaths when any changes are done to the model.
    But you can stop this yes?
    Surely it's only a setting?
    If you modify a model (or "someone" modifies it) and you want to look at differences/changes, you can do this without an automagic toolpath regen???

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That old saying "The high cost of cheap tools"....
    I guess the same goes for software also.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a similar problem like this with Fusion 360 after an update (not the recent one). My toolpaths had all reverted to an earlier version. Are you sure the Time-line slider is in the same position after the update as it was before the update? (If you have the timeline turned on.) As others mentioned here, saving every 5-10 minutes is a fail-safe practice which I do - some of my files are in the several-hundred range of versions.

Regarding the cloud, you can also export your .F3D file to your local computer often, if you wish, as well.

The forced updates really need to be made an OPTION - only update when the end user chooses to do so. Fusion team can go ahead and say they won't provide tech support for older versions, that's fine. Push the new update to my computer, that's ok. But, at least give the end user the option as to WHEN they want to allow their software to update, so we can take appropriate measures beforehand. Apple does this with iOS (well, actually, they give the end user way more control - you can choose to not auto-download, not auto-update.)

Autodesk Team, are you listening?

4. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fusion had a great SIMPLE layout and was and is still one of the easiest(IMO) to learn. However, their need to keep having their "helpers" keep tinkering on shit to probably make one guy happy who has no engineering degree or machining degree but took a class or two in Cali is beyond belief.

So improvements were okay, changing a color here or there or the new "finish sketch" is easier, but then with every tinkier something breaks or gets screwed up. Then they keep trying to "simplify" or "dumb down" terminology for people who again, probably are hobbiysts. The sketch tools on main tool bar are even MORE constraint based which is odd, because in every other software, if I draw a parallel line, I hope to god its parallel? WTF? Yes if modify or offset some strange curve or move a hole placement, then I will go INTO a separate menu if need be. Now it lists Solid, Surface, Sheet Metal, in Tabs that aren't tabs, to then get to stuff that was ARLEADY in a pull down before. I am all about time saving but it is still a 1 button click either way. What did you really save time on?

6. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    But you can stop this yes?
    Surely it's only a setting?
    If you modify a model (or "someone" modifies it) and you want to look at differences/changes, you can do this without an automagic toolpath regen???
    How can it not? If you changed the shape of a curved surface, or added a boss on it, the toolpaths won't cut the new surface unless regenerated.

A word to all the folks who have said save the toolpath output as a discrete file... This works if all you are programing is simple widgets, once the toolpaths are written, run them forever without change. But most people consider the work they've put into a product model as an investment. Say I've spent days generating toolpaths for the mold cavity to make a hockey mask, and now the customer comes to me for a quote on a second cavity with a different pattern of breathing holes, which only necessitated adding or relocating some bosses on the surface. I'm going to quote that based on the fact that I already have the bulk of the programming done, and only quote the time for the changes. If I then find that the modified model won't regenerate, I'm screwed. Likewise for repair work. In MasterCAM I don't bother to save the actual toolpath files, because if I need to re-cut a welded repair to a cavity, I only want to re-cut those portions, not the entire cavity. As soon as I add tool containment boundaries to the model, I'll need to regen. If the newer version won't reliably regen toolpaths on an older model, again I'm screwed. I have part files from the mid nineties that I rely upon to support repairs, and they still work. I'm sure others can think of a bunch more examples along the same lines.

Dennis

8. Likes mhajicek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by empwoer View Post
    thats what i do with our other stuff thats not in fusion, my mistake for relying on autodesk :/
    The only thing you can rely on autodicks for is getting screwed! Usually at a later date. After you forgot its coming. But, make no mistake, its coming!

like i said, lesson learned but we'll most likely look to get away from it unfortunately, this kinda shit is dumb AF
    You got that right!

Cloud based CAM is DUMB AF!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's coming slowly but all the downsides that were theorised about at the beginning are coming true it would seem, really puts me off moving real work onto Fusion. I would really like Fusion to be the solution for me but I think sticking to Solidworks and looking at NX seems to be the way forward, though even NX seems to have some problems if you don't go for the full unlocked server and node licensing system.

11. Likes Pete Deal, empwoer, swatkins liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Modelman View Post
    How can it not? If you changed the shape of a curved surface, or added a boss on it, the toolpaths won't cut the new surface unless regenerated.

A word to all the folks who have said save the toolpath output as a discrete file... This works if all you are programing is simple widgets, once the toolpaths are written, run them forever without change. But most people consider the work they've put into a product model as an investment. Say I've spent days generating toolpaths for the mold cavity to make a hockey mask, and now the customer comes to me for a quote on a second cavity with a different pattern of breathing holes, which only necessitated adding or relocating some bosses on the surface. I'm going to quote that based on the fact that I already have the bulk of the programming done, and only quote the time for the changes. If I then find that the modified model won't regenerate, I'm screwed. Likewise for repair work. In MasterCAM I don't bother to save the actual toolpath files, because if I need to re-cut a welded repair to a cavity, I only want to re-cut those portions, not the entire cavity. As soon as I add tool containment boundaries to the model, I'll need to regen. If the newer version won't reliably regen toolpaths on an older model, again I'm screwed. I have part files from the mid nineties that I rely upon to support repairs, and they still work. I'm sure others can think of a bunch more examples along the same lines.

Dennis
    I understand what you're saying but I never explained myself clearly...

My comment was because someone above had said that Fusion automatically regenerates a path (so I assume they're not clicking a regenerate button?)
    So an example...3ax job with a boss that stands up 20mm.
    Programmed and you know the longest tool has to be 20mm+ stickout, so on your set sheet you say 22mm.
    Customer changes model by altering the height of the boss 5mm (to 25mm).
    IF you haven't defined your tool lengths correctly (and a lot of people I see program using long sticks (cutters) because they can't be bothered to set up the tool), verification won't know your tool stickout is only 22mm ON THE MACHINE.
    Verification will say ok - running on machine would say no bueno and smack.

Hopefully I'm explaining myself and I'm well versed in mastercam, but I was questioning how Fusion works with this "automatic" stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post

Hopefully I'm explaining myself and I'm well versed in mastercam, but I was questioning how Fusion works with this "automatic" stuff
    If you have modeled the stick out correctly in Fusion then it will still show a crash. I haven't used the machining side for a few years but it used to not auto generate ( because I found it frustrating that I had to regenerate tool paths when I was designing and machining at the same time ). The key thing is making sure the machine and tool library match, which was never an issue for me because I was one man and one machine but I could see that getting interesting in a bigger operation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I love the posters acting like it must be the OP's fault cause, you know, software is like perfect.

I can think of two ways this happens.

Both involve unsaved data, but they would not involve crashes or be obvious.

Last I saw it, Fusion updates in the background as opposed to forcing it when you startup, at some point it actually forces the update, like if you walk away it is going to do it unless you tell it not to.

It is going to have the last saved version in the update. Considering it is always asking me if I want to recover random things from six months ago, it seems stupid that it does not auto save but.....

The other way would be a user running it at two locations. Newer version of part on older version software and the auto update takes the version from the newer software as gospel.

Fusion is junk because all software is junk. I have come across few pieces of software in the last 30 years that were at all impressive in stability and features. The ancient version of solidworks I have used is solid, but clunky. It also doesn't have cam, and a newer version would have more in one years maintenance than I have ever paid for Fusion.

I just wish they had a damn book. I have no patience for reading endless forum posts that may or may not be related to my issue

[the forum software announced it autosaved my posting at least once while typing, what a concept]

15. Likes wheelieking71, empwoer, Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nicely said -- all software is junk, that is the world we inhabit.

I use Fusion fairly frequently for prototype design and concept work, and I am just getting set up to start some CAM work with it. I see Fusion updates come out, and they never update the software while I am working in the package, but there is a notification that says "Update has been downloaded, get it when you are ready" or words to that effect. It WILL automatically update when you restart the software the next time around, or you can restart the software during the session when it downloaded and it will install then. For sure, you need to have saved your stuff prior to the update.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

was just talking to a buddy that also uses fusion and he had the same exact thing happen to him right around the same time.
    at least i know i'm not imagining shit/going crazy.

18. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by specfab View Post
    Nicely said -- all software is junk, that is the world we inhabit.

I use Fusion fairly frequently for prototype design and concept work, and I am just getting set up to start some CAM work with it. I see Fusion updates come out, and they never update the software while I am working in the package, but there is a notification that says "Update has been downloaded, get it when you are ready" or words to that effect. It WILL automatically update when you restart the software the next time around, or you can restart the software during the session when it downloaded and it will install then. For sure, you need to have saved your stuff prior to the update.
    Last sentence, bit me in the ass at least twice. What you HAVE to do is look for the update getting downloaded when you first open Fusion, if you see it let it download AND install before you do anything! Most of the time it is fine, but it will bite you eventually.

barbter, the tool paths do not automatically regenerate, you have to tell them to. I don't know what would happen if you posted the tool paths without regenerating. I think you can do it but I have never tried since I wanted the most current versions of the tool paths.

20. Likes barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

BTW I also name every cnc file something different, because I make a lot of mistakes and need to go backwards a lot

I also design as I cartoon, so I tend to save things as different files, which makes my software cluttered, but then it matches the inside of my head so I guess that is OK too.

22. Likes specfab, Yan Wo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Should there be a thread titled: Which software after Fusion...

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmaks View Post
    Should there be a thread titled: Which software after Fusion...
    WIldfire 3 ? Or I-DEAS maybe ....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fast forward to 8:00. This issue looks super fun to deal with... YouTube

26. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

was just talking to a buddy that also uses fusion and he had the same exact thing happen to him right around the same time.
    at least i know i'm not imagining shit/going crazy.
    Being 'Gaslit" by Autodesk comes free of charge...

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

* 11 Warning Signs of Gaslighting | Psychology Today

* Gaslighting - Wikipedia

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 360427 View Post
    That is f*cking hilarious … Like Autodesk is watching him... and reach out to contact him to say 'You can get (free) help you-know … "

Pure awesomeness (too funny but definitely feel for AvE). [Being randomly stalked by "Tech-support" from Autodesk.].

I think the help he really needs is not something that Autodesk is legally allowed to supply.

Honestly Autodesk get good value out of their users being a very large group of active Beta testers*.

As soon as the bugs stop and the software stabilizes towards some sort of asymptote you can bet Fusion 360 will be at least 4X the price it is currently.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

Reminds me of when SolidWorks decided to "Switch" to the Microsoft "Ribbon" to make their 3d CAD program work more like Microsoft word … [Thereby violating every good principal of interface design... that's right make CAD more like a dying word processor so that middle management will order more copies... Face palm.+ having interface elements randomly move around and appear and disappear doesn't make you feel like you are loosing your sh*t at all. ].

* Beta tester Geek speak for " Guinea pig.", usually Beta testers don't have to pay for software as much time is taken up by things not working properly.

Software release life cycle - Wikipedia

"Beta phase" ^^^

29. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 360427 View Post
    All I can say is that his Youtube account along with his Patreons must be treating him very well, as his toys get more and more expensive.

31. Likes cameraman liked this post