What's new
What's new

absolutely FURIOUS with autodesk/fusion

empower

Titanium
MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN.....

i was starting to really love fusion for simple 3 axis work and 3+2 stuff and how easy it is to use, but goddamnit today pissed me the fuck off.
they pushed an auto update and all my toolpaths that i tweaked and updated on this part i've been working on for awhile reverted to the state they were in a few days ago, lost all that work. on top of that i made a small tweak to the program, reposted it and it fucked up a couple parts before i figured out what/how/why it did so. as the rest of it has been perfect till just now.

fucking cocksucking pieces of shit.

i was starting to really love fusion for simple 3 axis work and 3+2 stuff and how easy it is to use, but goddamnit today pissed me the fuck off.
they pushed an auto update and all my toolpaths that i tweaked and updated on this part i've been working on for awhile reverted to the state they were in a few days ago, lost all that work. on top of that i made a small tweak to the program, reposted it and it fucked up a couple parts before i figured out what/how/why it did so. as the rest of it has been perfect till just now.

Don't candy coat it, tell us how you really feel!

Let this be a lesson learned the next time you get an update on a software package.
Did you read the part "pushed an update"?

Fusion doesn't let me select to not do an update, it gets updated when I log in or I dont get logged in.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I hope you've shared your complaints with the Fusion team (on their forum or via email). They tend to be pretty willing to do RCA and improve at least the product, although I can't say I've seen much of the kind of issues you had, so I can't guess how good they are at fixing that.

Consistent updates are a double edged sword given that it's cloud based and you can't choose to stay on an older rev. I think there's no doubt that the Fusion of a couple years ago doesn't hold much of a candle to the features in there now...but like any software, changes often break things. And in this case QA appears to be mostly users (which isn't a huge surprise given the price).

Fusion doesn't let me select to not do an update, it gets updated when I log in or I dont get logged in.

sometimes it'll even force you to reboot the software to update before you can do anything at all

Keep good backups?

Don't know if OP's programs were a work in progress, but when I have a proved program it gets backed up in a couple different places.

Took a hard drive crash to discipline me, I don't want to go through that again.

Just to be clear, (I'm not a Fusion 360 user), but what you are saying is the FILES that you had saved your new tweaked toolpaths to were over written ? ).

OR the newer update (File input redirection) selected an older file ?

OR the FILE you had has been read incorrectly by the new update, i.e. your newer version of Fusion read the wrong parts of some kind of in-file 'version control " ?

If you saved your work then the file should be somewhere or the "Tweaks" are still in larger marco type file structure but not correctly read by the latest version of Fusion 360.

Not very likely that a newer version of the software would randomly overwrite your file just for the hell of it ?

If you saved your work it's probably somewhere buried in a file, but not read correctly.

If you get an actual Autodesk engineer seems like they should be able to talk you through finding the original data/file structure that you created through your tweaked tool paths ? I don't know if they use a zipped binary version of XML type file for organizing complex data etc. ? If it's possible to send the files they might be able to dig in and find what's been lost and then provide a bug fix for the read (file) error in a few days etc.

This is an important enough bug/error that they should be concerned enough to try and fix it. [Sooner rather than later.]. If you get that far just remember when dealing with the "Computer" people to be very ice water through your veins, cool clinical and deliberate / neutral. 'cuz they are probably not gonna want to solve your particular problem of you are punching the keyboard and spiting at the screen lol. Your 'effed up parts are more of a concern though (Sorry you a re having trouble man) :-(

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

* Random note, ten or 15 years ago, pretty much with every 3d graphics and CAD and CAM based software that we would make sure we saved our work every ten or 15 minutes as crashes and system lock ups were not uncommon. Computers would crash at least once a day loosing work if you didn't save (and that was the same with really top drawer "Professional" platforms.).

Actually I did read that part and the part where his program reverted back to a previous state meaning he lost a lot of toolpath. I also read the part where he made a small minor tweak and reposted the program which ended up screwing up a couple of parts. The lesson learned is not to trust updates until you test out a few programs or compare the code of a new program to a proven program.

What lesson is that?

To not trust updates because software companies are in such a hurry to push out the newest and greatest version of their software which they tend to break something in the process of improving the software. Been burned a couple of times in the past which is why I am still on a previous version of Camworks and Solidworks.

Keep good backups?

Don't know if OP's programs were a work in progress, but when I have a proved program it gets backed up in a couple different places.

Took a hard drive crash to discipline me, I don't want to go through that again.

it was about 99% done, i was making a few small tweaks on the last op. you're right its a shitty lesson to learn but now i know :(

Actually I did read that part and the part where his program reverted back to a previous state meaning he lost a lot of toolpath. I also read the part where he made a small minor tweak and reposted the program which ended up screwing up a couple of parts. The lesson learned is not to trust updates until you test out a few programs or compare the code of a new program to a proven program.

I'm not disputing what's being reported here,

but the "Executable" i.e. the software update should not affect "data" stored in files.

When you create things like newer tweaked toolpaths that data is saved in a file stored on a location within a larger file structure.

An update of an executable should not overwrite stored files and data ?

It would be a super risky strategy if Autodesk had a scheme where the update reads all your files and replaces everything with a new file structure and then writes out all the previously read data into the new file structure … That would be "Madness" / very risky. [Kinda Mac-like ;-) ].

For engineering software where things can get dangerous, that would be a real "No-no" .

Just to be clear, (I'm not a Fusion 360 user), but what you are saying is the FILES that you had saved your new tweaked toolpaths to were over written ? ).

OR the newer update (File input redirection) selected an older file ?

OR the FILE you had has been read incorrectly by the new update, i.e. your newer version of Fusion read the wrong parts of some kind of in-file 'version control " ?

If you saved your work then the file should be somewhere or the "Tweaks" are still in larger marco type file structure but not correctly read by the latest version of Fusion 360.

Not very likely that a newer version of the software would randomly overwrite your file just for the hell of it ?

If you saved your work it's probably somewhere buried in a file, but not read correctly.

If you get an actual Autodesk engineer seems like they should be able to talk you through finding the original data/file structure that you created through your tweaked tool paths ? I don't know if they use a zipped binary version of XML type file for organizing complex data etc. ? If it's possible to send the files they might be able to dig in and find what's been lost and then provide a bug fix for the read (file) error in a few days etc.

This is an important enough bug/error that they should be concerned enough to try and fix it. [Sooner rather than later.]. If you get that far just remember when dealing with the "Computer" people to be very ice water through your veins, cool clinical and deliberate / neutral. 'cuz they are probably not gonna want to solve your particular problem of you are punching the keyboard and spiting at the screen lol. Your 'effed up parts are more of a concern though (Sorry you a re having trouble man) :-(

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

* Random note, ten or 15 years ago, pretty much with every 3d graphics and CAD and CAM based software that we would make sure we saved our work every ten or 15 minutes as crashes and system lock ups were not uncommon. Computers would crash at least once a day loosing work if you didn't save (and that was the same with really top drawer "Professional" platforms.).

its probably #2 or 3. fusion automatically 'versions' your files each time you manually save it or it saves from a crash etc. so when i opened it yesterday it was on the right/latest version, but the toolpaths in there were from several versions back. some toolpaths completely missing.
i know well enough to save stuff manually when working in mastercam or other programs, just up till now fusion has been dead reliable. guess it only takes one time to ruin the reputation...

it was about 99% done, i was making a few small tweaks on the last op. you're right its a shitty lesson to learn but now i know :(

Are you saying you didn't save your work and had your computer "On" and Fusion "UP" for a couple of days or something ?

OK I just read your response above (sorry ).

I'm not disputing what's being reported here,

but the "Executable" i.e. the software update should not affect "data" stored in files.

When you create things like newer tweaked toolpaths that data is saved in a file stored on a location within a larger file structure.

An update of an executable should not overwrite stored files and data ?

It would be a super risky strategy if Autodesk had a scheme where the update reads all your files and replaces everything with a new file structure and then writes out all the previously read data into the new file structure … That would be "Madness" / very risky. [Kinda Mac-like ;-) ].

For engineering software where things can get dangerous, that would be a real "No-no" .

the problem is, by default fusion never saves anything locally, EVERYTHING is stored on their cloud. so who knows what they did to their executable and/or servers. somehow its not reading something like it should be.

Are you saying you didn't save your work and had your computer "On" and Fusion "UP" for a couple of days or something ?

OK I just read your response above (sorry ).

the fucked up thing is that even if you leave the program up and running for days, on some updates it will force you to restart the program to apply the update before you can do any other changes etc. this just completely soured my taste for autodesk.

its probably #2 or 3. fusion automatically 'versions' your files each time you manually save it or it saves from a crash etc. so when i opened it yesterday it was on the right/latest version, but the toolpaths in there were from several versions back. some toolpaths completely missing.
i know well enough to save stuff manually when working in mastercam or other programs, just up till now fusion has been dead reliable. guess it only takes one time to ruin the reputation...

You need to reach out and contact them...

Try to explain very carefully what's what but BE very insistent that you have to speak to someone an actual engineer not just be passed through their reported 'Bug fix" burocracy (sp) to be "thrown over the wall". Attended to sometime in 2021.

If you explain the newer version is not reading saved files correctly they should jump on that, as potentially that's hundreds of thousands of hours of peoples work systematically "Destroyed" and also 'effing up parts and maybe even breaking tools and machines etc. (maybe ?) You could press the safety angle too (with them).

the problem is, by default fusion never saves anything locally, EVERYTHING is stored on their cloud. so who knows what they did to their executable and/or servers. somehow its not reading something like it should be.

That's really fucked up.

Well it's the same structure on the cloud they can't munge the executable with your files.

$5 says they have "version control" in the cloud for your account, they can roll that back one day or a specified number of hours if they wanted to but that would open the flood gates for all kinds of demands.

Geeeeeez.

I knew Fusion was cloud based but didn't fully understand ALL your files are "In the cloud".

Not very secure from many perspectives... I'm old school I don't even let my programmers send me stuff via-drop box. etc. Too vulnerable.

Back