Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    .. nobody who makes their actual income from running CNC machines should be dependent on it, or "locked in" to Autodesk in any way.
    The learning curve in switching cad is not instant, Autodesk owns the construction industry. Solidworks is far distant second. We are all locked into software of various companies, just most do not pull the plug on perpetual licenses. They might pull support, but not the ability to keep using it...hardware dependent.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As soon as I noticed the words "log in," "cloud," "subscription," and "auto update" I knew it wasn't going to end well.

I pay the annual subscription to SW so I can call for help if I ever need it, but I froze the installation at 2014 and have all the subsequent update disks in a drawer. Likewise M'cam: frozen at 2014. I own the hasp, so fuck them. No auto updates because those computers aren't even connected to the internet and never will be. Same with Adobe CS4, Photoshop, InDesign. DISKS and legal serial numbers. Maybe old school, but I need to have it available to use at any time and it can't be subject to disappearance through somebody's marketing policy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    As soon as I noticed the words "log in," "cloud," "subscription," and "auto update" I knew it wasn't going to end well.

I pay the annual subscription to SW so I can call for help if I ever need it, but I froze the installation at 2014 and have all the subsequent update disks in a drawer. Likewise M'cam: frozen at 2014. I own the hasp, so fuck them. No auto updates because those computers aren't even connected to the internet and never will be. Same with Adobe CS4, Photoshop, InDesign. DISKS and legal serial numbers. Maybe old school, but I need to have it available to use at any time and it can't be subject to disappearance through somebody's marketing policy.
    Same here! I'm "perpetually" stuck in 2015 (because of autodicks).
    I'm 90% sure I wont be paying my maintenance this time when it is due in Dec.

4. Likes Oldwrench, Pathogen liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post

Yup, That's how i ran my business for 12 years.
    All machines networked and backed up etc, just the one cheap pc for the interweb.
    No forced graphics card updates etc. Clean running and 1000000% safe.

6. Likes Oldwrench, cameraman, Pathogen liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The CLOUD will eat yer' lunch ...

The "Cloud" will munch on data to produce generative design variants while you sleep...

Slippery slope, AD's big plans for Fusion 360

But at lest the Folks at Matsuura (UK) get to have fun.

8. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was a bit disappointed that Matsuura bigged up the busllshit where that's concerned...

And I welcome our Robot Overlords...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Generative design is cool and all, but I'm not convinced it was required to make that fixture, or that the fixture had to be 3D printed. Considering the part being milled, they could have simply milled a simple fixture for way less money, and less time.

11. Likes cameraman, mhajicek, XD341, Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I always find stuff like this funny, then: borderline insulting. Like, they don't realize we can't see right through the bullshit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    Generative design is cool and all, but I'm not convinced it was required to make that fixture, or that the fixture had to be 3D printed. Considering the part being milled, they could have simply milled a simple fixture for way less money, and less time.
    Exactly. It's like they are trying to find a problem for their solution.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Installing Fusion 360 through chocolatey prevents it from updating on its own:
    Chocolatey - The package manager for Windows

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by burdickjp View Post
    Installing Fusion 360 through chocolatey prevents it from updating on its own:
    Chocolatey - The package manager for Windows
    That looks super interesting...

One of the few Kickstarter projects that actually worked / delivered.

For at least 15 years we have had the need for isolated systems, I.e. things NOT connected to any network. [Dealing with Microsoft to send disks for updates is very difficult (rather than internet based updates.).].

It used to be that during the Windows NT days that stuff used to run very well providing you didn't connect to a network, as soon as a computer would be networked system reliability would tank. NT used to have a lot of more UNIX like tools and interfaces to actually "DO" stuff. Since XP---> Vista ---> whatever the hell happened cuz of tablets a lot of normal computer control has been taken away from users.

So when Fusion 360 'Wants" to connect to the cloud / how does chocolatey convince Fusion 360 that's it's totally chill and it's still connected to the "MATRIX" ? Rather than stamp it's foot and go
    "No ! ET phone home or I'll just give you the spinning beach ball of death or do nothing or just screw with your CAD data … ".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For Cameraman and others:

Drawing was 2d with the 500 "holes".

Computer is a few years old
    Asus x99-A LGA 2000-v3 intel motherboard
    intel core i7-5820k HAswell-E 6 core 3.3GHz processor
    PYN quadro k2200 4gb 128bit gddr5 vid card
    corsair vengeance lpx 16gb ddr4 2666 ram i think

Hard drive can remember and may be my only weak point. I am sure guys have better, just stating what I have.

Fusion is 6yrs old today so 50% off purchase guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaltz View Post

Hard drive can remember and may be my only weak point. I am sure guys have better, just stating what I have.

Handy item I've gotten used to is a cloned hard drive. I use Macrium Reflect. and keep a spare HD on hand (ssd). I can back it up over USB and try to do so every month or so. Something bad happens, I just go back in time a month.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This thread turned into an Autodesk bash fest.
    The original question surrounded saving of files, correct?
    Has it been mentioned that in preferences one can set how often it saves the file?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fueler View Post
    It is so easy, what did you expect?

20. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fueler View Post
    The original question surrounded saving of files, correct?
    Has it been mentioned that in preferences one can set how often it saves the file?
    Pretty much any thread that goes beyond 1 page will morph into other topics along the way. And, no, the first post was about how AutoDesks auto update corrupted a file, nothing to do with how to save files.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was about how sometimes when Fusion does an update it can corrupt files. As I said earlier I have had this happen to me 2 times since I started using Fusion, which was a couple of months before you could pay for it, and only happened to files I had open then saved when Fusion wanted to do an update. Irritating but not a deal breaker, especially when you know how to avoid it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For Cameraman and others:

Drawing was 2d with the 500 "holes".

Computer is a few years old
    Asus x99-A LGA 2000-v3 intel motherboard
    intel core i7-5820k HAswell-E 6 core 3.3GHz processor
    PYN quadro k2200 4gb 128bit gddr5 vid card
    corsair vengeance lpx 16gb ddr4 2666 ram i think

Fusion is 6yrs old today so 50% off purchase guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

The PNY K2200 can easily push around 13 million polygons shaded and lit at a frame rate of 80 frames / second.

So your 500 "Holes" should be no problem ! Even if each hole is modelled with 50,000 polygons per hole ! [Which of course they are not.].

In the past I have found the ASUS mother boards to be slightly out of step with what the NVIDIA cards are doing and in the past I have had to update chip set drivers** on ASUS mother boards. Basic versions of Microsoft 'Windows" and ASUS and Nvidia being out of step with each-other , not to mention Intel IS a direct competitor to NVIDIA in a sense.

That NVIDIA card (K2200) is the first of that range to use the new Maxwell architecture, that's why I would (suspect) point to chip set driver on ASUS mother board. Basically Fusion 360 is making calls that don't jive with your set up until those key drivers are updated. ONCE they are updated then you can start pointing the finger at Fusion 360, contact tech support at Autodesk ~ They should be concerned (with that particular incompatibility).

You have more than enough RAM for what you need to do here.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

BTW / random note solid state hard drives "Memory " degrades has errors and faults out if left unpowered for a long time (of the order of a year); flash memory is very unreliable for long term unpowered storage as compared to mechanical hard drives.

@EndlessWaltzHow many monitors are you driving at once and what kind of on screen resolution ?

** If you are not confident about updating things like chipset drivers find a buddy (on the ground that can help you), don't want to be partially responsible for trashing you system, BUT usually that irons out those kinds of crashes IME.

*** That doesn't rule out a 'Bug" / error in Fusion 360 but if there is some "Recursive" Object oriented snafu in the way it handles 2D to 3d conversions (and doesn't clean up after itself) then you should test whether you can crash your computer using fewer holes in your model. [After Chipset driver update and Windows updates.].

__________________________________________________ _____

Is there something weird with the tree-graph after conversion, how are your 500 holes represented / interpreted by Fusion 360 ? (Or do you crash before then ?)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post

@EndlessWaltzHow many monitors are you driving at once and what kind of on screen resolution ?

** If you are not confident about updating things like chipset drivers find a buddy (on the ground that can help you), don't want to be partially responsible for trashing you system, BUT usually that irons out those kinds of crashes IME.

*** That doesn't rule out a 'Bug" / error in Fusion 360 but if there is some "Recursive" Object oriented snafu in the way it handles 2D to 3d conversions (and doesn't clean up after itself) then you should test whether you can crash your computer using fewer holes in your model. [After Chipset driver update and Windows updates.].

__________________________________________________ _____

Is there something weird with the tree-graph after conversion, how are your 500 holes represented / interpreted by Fusion 360 ? (Or do you crash before then ?)

Sorry for late reply,
    I go to move the "holes" and tremondous lag and it will get to where I want. Sometime though it will crash if I click mouse again or go to fast.
    I run dual monitors(technically tvs cuz boss was cheap) and thinking of replacing. I have noticed when fusion loads up it want to creep into the second monitor and doesn't fully show the data panel till I minimize and then maximize again. I run 1920 x 1080 resolution. Second monitor every few months will boot up with wrong resolution and I have to unplug. Hassle.
    I will look into updating the drivers. Most computer guys here are not true nerds in my eyes. They do the basics and don't have a full understanding of the architecture or problem solving abilities. I don't, but when their recommendations are stuff I have already done is worrisome.

Thanks for the advice.

Now back to the Fusion360 bashing after the commercial break.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only "problem" I have had that really is a problem worth complaining about more is that if you have large designs even in 2d...lets say 500 holes , without any toolpathing, you try to move it to a different area by "drag"...it crashes. Bobcad slowed, and Mastercam handled it pretty good. All on the same computer. All exactly the same file. So what does that tell you, to many background BS because of the cloud or I am sure the super nerds here will have a better idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    The PNY K2200 can easily push around 13 million polygons shaded and lit at a frame rate of 80 frames / second.

So your 500 "Holes" should be no problem ! Even if each hole is modelled with 50,000 polygons per hole ! [Which of course they are not.].

In the past I have found the ASUS mother boards to be slightly out of step with what the NVIDIA cards are doing and in the past I have had to update chip set drivers** on ASUS mother boards. Basic versions of Microsoft 'Windows" and ASUS and Nvidia being out of step with each-other , not to mention Intel IS a direct competitor to NVIDIA in a sense.

That NVIDIA card (K2200) is the first of that range to use the new Maxwell architecture, that's why I would (suspect) point to chip set driver on ASUS mother board. Basically Fusion 360 is making calls that don't jive with your set up until those key drivers are updated. ONCE they are updated then you can start pointing the finger at Fusion 360, contact tech support at Autodesk ~ They should be concerned (with that particular incompatibility).

You have more than enough RAM for what you need to do here.
    Maxwell is ancient now in computer terms, along with the rest of his system. IOW drivers are are mature and stable as they are ever going to get. Windows handles commonplace chipsets like X99 pretty cleanly, so updating chipset drivers and the like is probably going to achieve nothing. That said, Nvidia drivers are pretty much a mixed bag of shit with ever decreasing QC, so rolling back to an older version actually might prove more beneficial.

Anyway; Parametric cad of any variety is invariably CPU bottlenecked. Constraints and sketch solvers run concurrently if any entities are not fully defined in space, which burdens the CPU. If you have 500 holes in a sketch in fusion (or any other parametric cad) and it's choking when you try to move them, I'd guess they are not properly constrained. That's why BC and MC don't care - they don't have solvers working overtime trying to resolve all the unconstrained geometry.

Sorry for late reply,
    I go to move the "holes" and tremondous lag and it will get to where I want. Sometime though it will crash if I click mouse again or go to fast.
    I run dual monitors(technically tvs cuz boss was cheap) and thinking of replacing. I have noticed when fusion loads up it want to creep into the second monitor and doesn't fully show the data panel till I minimize and then maximize again. I run 1920 x 1080 resolution. Second monitor every few months will boot up with wrong resolution and I have to unplug. Hassle.
    I will look into updating the drivers. Most computer guys here are not true nerds in my eyes. They do the basics and don't have a full understanding of the architecture or problem solving abilities. I don't, but when their recommendations are stuff I have already done is worrisome.

Thanks for the advice.

Now back to the Fusion360 bashing after the commercial break.
    Using tv screens as computer monitors is a pretty horrible experience for a number of reasons. You should push your boss hard to fix that for you.

I ditched using dual monitors years ago. When we were stuck with low resolutions it was necessary, now it's just cumbersome.

One 1440p screen is more pleasant to work on than 2 x 1080p, even though it's less screen space. 4k is a step up again.