Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    Maxwell is ancient now in computer terms, along with the rest of his system.
    I disagree.

It may not be the Latest but it's not ancient in terms of the computational / graphics capability, it can still push around 13 million polygons shaded and lit at a frame rate of 80 frames / second ! That's not a slouch and no slouch for 500 holes whether "constrained" or not.

IOW drivers are are mature and stable as they are ever going to get.
    ^^^ Disagree, When he acquired the configuration of system he had Maxwell architecture was new, and possibly very out of step with the rest of system. IF he did not update or specifically install newer or more compatible chip set drivers then his workstation is still 'Frozen" in that state / versions. Brand new systems often have a lot wrinkles that need to be ironed out so that everything works as it should, unless you encounter problems folks are not going to randomly update chip set drivers for fun.

Windows handles commonplace chipsets like X99 pretty cleanly, so updating chipset drivers and the like is probably going to achieve nothing. That said, Nvidia drivers are pretty much a mixed bag of shit with ever decreasing QC, so rolling back to an older version actually might prove more beneficial.

^^^ I disagree , In my experience the opposite is true(at least regarding Windows + various mother boards+ knock on effect on NVIDIA graphics cards); can't comment on current NVIDIA QC),

Not sure how Endless Waltz is gonna "Score" the "Sweetest " vintage of chipset drivers.

maybe It WILL achieve nothing but at least that can be ruled out before he goes to Autodesk and say 'Hey your software is making calls that cause this system to crash" . (Your experiences may be very different of course.).

Anyway; Parametric cad of any variety is invariably CPU bottlenecked. Constraints and sketch solvers run concurrently if any entities are not fully defined in space, which burdens the CPU. If you have 500 holes in a sketch in fusion (or any other parametric cad) and it's choking when you try to move them, I'd guess they are not properly constrained. That's why BC and MC don't care - they don't have solvers working overtime trying to resolve all the unconstrained geometry.
    ^^^ That is possible … More modern software architectures can push those computations directly onto the GPUs now used as multithreaded number crunchers in parallel. 500 X the equation for a circle ? (parametrically) even on a cpu should vey doable never the less, it may not be super fluid / silky smooth. Not every "vendor" is writing good multithreaded code. There could be a bug in Fusion 360 there. (One possibility out of several.).

Test for that would start with "One hole" then ten, then 50, 100, and then see where it falls over. (Alluded to that kind of test earlier.).

If it falls over on a small number of holes then it's an incompatibility with the calls that Fusion 360 is making with the HW configuration EndlessWaltz has. (Like Chip set drivers) or bonkers monitor settings. Shame EndlessWaltz can't run the same procedure on different hardware.

Using tv screens as computer monitors is a pretty horrible experience for a number of reasons. You should push your boss hard to fix that for you.

I AGREE
    ! :-) ^^^^

I ditched using dual monitors years ago. When we were stuck with low resolutions it was necessary, now it's just cumbersome.

One 1440p screen is more pleasant to work on than 2 x 1080p, even though it's less screen space. 4k is a step up again.

@EndlessWaltz
    If you go for a more modern and conventional pair of real monitors then your graphics problems might iron themselves out also … IME I have found that to work also (for some "problems"), rather than having weird asymmetric display arrangements etc.

If you are running two programs at the same time then that may be causing conflicts also with your graphics.

If you save your "Hole" file and open in Fusion 360 only (From what you say , sounds like Fusion 360 defaults to one monitor, maybe try what you are doing with one monitor only ? ) [I know it's all such a seemingly unnecessary time consuming hassle to narrow down such problems.].

[I/ we have been rendering high frame rate stereoscopically in two monitors (each one stereoscopically) , or one monitor (stereoscopically) and one different stereo feed projected (twin projectors) for at least fifteen years now driven by NVIDIA cards without significant or pervasive challenges where stuff doesn't work as it should... But then again we write our own software.

If memory serves me right that PNY card can drive I think like.. four or eight monitors (simultaneously) ?

Last edited by cameraman; 07-30-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

@EndlessWaltz This is general "How to keep Motherboard Drivers Updated" gives you a good overview of how things can be out of step with eachother chipset / motherboard / Bios related things. And also the kinds things you can gain more control over (if needed).

Useful to have some awareness that these kinds of problems exist and can in some cases be cured/ managed quite well. Given Fusion 360 is (depending on use case) is dependent on the "Cloud" everything has to work and jive well as it possibly can.

There's probably videos out there for your more specific Hardware Configuration... But with ASUS mother boards in the past I have had to update chipset drivers to resolve the kinds of graphics/ HW conflicts you are experiencing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    ^^^ That is possible … More modern software architectures can push those computations directly onto the GPUs now used as multithreaded number crunchers in parallel. 500 X the equation for a circle ? (parametrically) even on a cpu should vey doable never the less, it may not be super fluid / silky smooth. Not every "vendor" is writing good multithreaded code. There could be a bug in Fusion 360 there. (One possibility out of several.)
    I disagree with your disagreements but I will focus on this!

GPU compute cores are great at pushing immutable data through a pipelined state machine. That's why they are called "stream processors".

They are not good at / incapable of executing code with any significant amounts of conditional branches, which is why a lot of extant computations are very difficult to parallelise and offload onto GPU.

A constraints solver is a pretty good example of a process that is practically impossible to code for GPU, and the amount of inter-dependency between discrete constraints makes dividing the process among separate threads extremely challenging. About the only way to do would be to instantiate the solver for every entity with a common fixed DOF - IOW, per sketch.

It's almost a certainty that F360, along with every other contemporary 3d cad system, uses a linear single threaded constraints solver.

4. Likes Yan Wo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I disagree with your disagreements but I will focus on this!

GPU compute cores are great at pushing immutable data through a pipelined state machine. That's why they are called "stream processors".

They are not good at / incapable of executing code with any significant amounts of conditional branches, which is why a lot of extant computations are very difficult to parallelise and offload onto GPU.

A constraints solver is a pretty good example of a process that is practically impossible to code for GPU, and the amount of inter-dependency between discrete constraints makes dividing the process among separate threads extremely challenging. About the only way to do would be to instantiate the solver for every entity with a common fixed DOF - IOW, per sketch.

It's almost a certainty that F360, along with every other contemporary 3d cad system, uses a linear single threaded constraints solver.
    Aye...

That's pretty interesting.

So are you saying EndlessWaltz must be using his 500 holes in a 'Unconstrained" condition (unwittingly) / pilot error / using the software wrong ?

OR

are you saying Fusion 360 has a latent / hidden bug where it is not apparent that those 500 holes are unconstrained and cause a crash ?

Ta.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

BTW @Gregorm Seems like you want your bosses to buy you a new powerful computer/ workstations (anything less being completely unacceptable ) ----> (Nothing wrong with that. I get that a lot from programmers that complain about twiddling their thumbs during long compilation times 'cuz the hardware is not the latest generation; I say "Hey" you should be reading the latest OpneGL specifications and similar, learning something and raising your game ! (i.e. not staring blankly into space for long periods of time waiting for something to compile... As other wise I have to pay them to learn this stuff anyway. ).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    So are you saying EndlessWaltz must be using his 500 holes in a 'Unconstrained" condition (unwittingly) / pilot error / using the software wrong ?

OR

are you saying Fusion 360 has a latent / hidden bug where it is not apparent that those 500 holes are unconstrained and cause a crash ?
    Well, it could be either of those. Of course it could be one of a dozen other things too...

I mentioned it only because it seems a likely scenario.